Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Monitoring climb profile during an instrument departure (SID) - merged

And keep in mind that the important speed is the GS.

When climb gradient is critical, I assess the climb performance based on forecast wind beforehand. If the departure makes me turn downwind, still climbing at a high gadient and it is windy, it will raise an alarm bell.

LFPT, LFPN

The charts could include a few more minimum altitudes along the way at remarkable points, for example when you intercept the TOU VOR, following the advise climb gradient
Like you have on a STAR.

ESMK, Sweden

Aviathor wrote:

And keep in mind that the important speed is the GS

Yep… As long as don’t stall the airplane in IMC :-)

Cologne sometimes allocate a NOR 8F departure off 14L which is a bit of a challenge. It has a procedure design gradient of 15.2% (924 ft per nm) to 4000. That’s quite a challenge, even when light. There are alternatives, but much longer.

bookworm wrote:

That’s quite a challenge, even when light.

I think that a typical flying club Pa28 will need a fair amount of Nitromethane in the tanks to achieve that
But other then the minimum gradients of Toulouse above this one is due to the military airspace of Nörvenich. If you fail to achieve the gradient you will only get some administrative problems, not granite problems.

NB: Just now, this very minute I have received an email with a Jeppesen nav data alert concerning the NOR procedures in Köln… Before using them, check for latest updates. What a coincidence!

Last Edited by what_next at 01 Mar 08:41
EDDS - Stuttgart

I think that a typical flying club Pa28 will need a fair amount of Nitromethane in the tanks to achieve that

A TB20 would also need nitromethane to achieve 15%

As stated earlier, I would fly any obstacle-critical SID on the autopilot, and watch progress carefully against the plate, plus against a terrain map.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Autopilot is the key to monitor.
Even if VS mode is clearly not the best way to achieve best slope / climb gradient.

@Peter
What climb gradient are you limiting your operations to ? (%) ?

Depends on how far you need to hold that rate of climb. Up to a few thousand feet AMSL, ISA, I will go for 10%.

Most IFR tourers can’t climb at Vx or Vy for more than a few mins without overheating.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

what_next wrote:

NB: Just now, this very minute I have received an email with a Jeppesen nav data alert concerning the NOR procedures in Köln… Before using them, check for latest updates. What a coincidence!

Ah yes, I see what you mean. For about two years, the Nörvenich NOR VORTAC was u/s. No one noticed. From today, it gets a new VORTAC, NVO. I predict more disruption than when NOR was switched off. :)

Another question that has been boggling my mind for a while is, what should you do if you climb out on a SID in IMC and/or at night, and you get a terrain warning? You’re already climbing at your best rate of climb, maybe you can increase that slightly by going for best angle, but then what?

Sign in to add your message