Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Banner Towing Rating - How?

Good evening Gentleman,

I have a question related to banner Towing activity. From the FCL seems that with PPL you can be trained to acquire the “towing Banner” qualification.
What i’ve understood is that you can not Tow any banner for commercial activity, due to with PPL you can not be paid. (except if you are FI/PPL, that I am, but just for Instructor activity).
But there is something that deny to a PPL holder to tow a banner for free? .
Is a really non sense that a lot of people fly up to 10 pax with pilatus and caravan (with PPL) for skydive and i can not tow a banner for 2 hours just for fun.

Happy to receive yours comments

Italy

And nationally regulated non-EASA types generally don’t need a towing rating either (although this depends on the country). At least in the UK many glider clubs have moved to non-EASA types, not because of the imposition of the towing rating, but just there are newer non-certifieds that burn a lot less fuel (e.g. the Eurofox) and are much quieter.

Last Edited by alioth at 11 Oct 16:07
Andreas IOM

Just be aware that many clubs have switched to microlights for towing, and this is the trend as it is much more economical. It’s also more practical since glider pilots easily can get the microlight license, thus lots of them tow. No FCL, no ATO/DTO. When I got my rating, it was a national rating. Converted it to EASA last year (a matter of simple paper work).

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Caba wrote:

@A_A, I did indeed check in the locally stored file, not online. I seem to have an older version here.

No, I’m sure your version is up to date. There is an error in the Easy Access version on the EASA web site.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@A_A, I did indeed check in the locally stored file, not online. I seem to have an older version here.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

Caba wrote:

(2) a training course at an ATO including:

Actually, that’s a mistake in the Easy Access version of part-FCL. It should read “… at a DTO or at an ATO…”, just like the part about banner towing. (Ref. Commission Regulation 2018/1119)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

boscomantico wrote:

But yes, in essence, any club that is a flying school and that does glider towing will be able to give that course.

…and it would make sense to inquire even if the glider towing rating isn’t mentioned on their web site – they might be doing it for their internal use and not bother to advertise it to customers (after all, the demand for it is probably very low).

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 08 Oct 11:55
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Thanks, I stand corrected.
But yes, in essence, any club that is a flying school and that does glider towing will be able to give that course.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

That fortunately, does not require an ATO. At least not in Germany. Hence, you can go to any FI that has the glider tow rating. In essence, you merely have to do at least 5 tows under supervision of that instructor to ge the rating. That’s it.

That´s what I thought too, and that´s how I got mine many years ago. However, Part-FCL says differently. The good thing is that, at least in Germany, most clubs act as an ATO, either by themselves or under the roof of the DAeC, German Aeroclub.

FCL.805 Sailplane towing and banner towing ratings

(a) Holders of a pilot licence with privileges to fly aeroplanes or TMGs shall only tow sailplanes or banners when they hold the appropriate sailplane towing or banner towing rating.

(b) Applicants for a sailplane towing rating shall have completed:

(1) at least 30 hours of flight time as PIC and 60 take-offs and landings in aeroplanes, if the activity is to be carried out in aeroplanes, or in TMGs, if the activity is to be carried out in TMGs, completed after the issue of the licence;

(2) a training course at an ATO including:
(i) theoretical knowledge instruction on towing operations and procedures;
(ii) at least 10 instruction flights towing a sailplane, including at least 5 dual instruction flights; and
(iii) except for holders of an LAPL(S) or an SPL, 5 familiarisation flights in a sailplane which is launched by an aircraft.

Last Edited by Caba at 08 Oct 09:43
EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

That fortunately, does not require an ATO. At least not in Germany. Hence, you can go to any FI that has the glider tow rating. In essence, you merely have to do at least 5 tows under supervision of that instructor to ge the rating. That’s it.

P.S. Your profile is empty.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Oct 08:32
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
29 Posts
Sign in to add your message