Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Banner Towing Rating - How?

Slight thread drift, but I have always considered banner towing a high risk job.
Especially the banner pick-up manoeuvre (where you are flying low and slow) routinely exposes you to a higher than normal risk.

Also Nigel Farage was involved in a banner towing plane accident.

Any other ATO’s who offer the Banner Towing Rating?

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

tmo wrote:

Possibly a tangent, but still on topic, I think. In Poland ultralights are not considered planes, but I can fly an Aeroprakt with a PPL. Do I need hours on a “real” plane to use the Aeroprakt for towing, or are hours on it acceptable? Who determines that? The ATO giving the rating? The NCAA (National Civil Aviation Authority)?

Not banner towing, but glider towing. I have ratings for both PPL and ultralight (tow planes). It is much more elaborate to get the microlight towing than the PPL towing rating. (it was, don’t know how the new regulations apply). With PPL, it was a check ride on the Pawnee (single pilot only of course), then I could begin towing, and would get the rating after 10 towings. With microlight, I had to take a couple of check rides with a microlight instructor (even though I had towed for 3-4 years), then I needed 5 hours on that particular aircraft used for towing. Madness, but…

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

@9M: I needn’t tell you there is (or used to be) a banner towing operation at your home field. What did they have to say on the matter?

EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Hey Jan: yes two banner towing ops, but no training offered :(

Abeam the Flying Dream
EBKT, western Belgium, Belgium

Hey Niner_Mike,

As far as I know only one ATO in Europe is qualified and well equiped to offer a banner-towing rating training course. The ATO is named Propeller and is located at EBKT (Airport Kortrijk-Wevelgem in Belgium). Feel free to contact the manager Scott at [email protected] and tell them you were sent by Joachim.

Kind regards,
Jdej

Does anybody know of an ATO that does the sailplane towing rating training course? So not the banner but the sailplane?

Check with your local glider/ flying club, that’s probably the cheapest way. A commercial gliding school would be another option, for example at the beautiful Wasserkuppe.

EDFE, EDFZ, KMYF, Germany

I checked the Fliegerschule Wasserkuppe website, they only seem to offer training for the LAPL(A) and no additional ratings. Just to be clear, I am not looking for a glider rating but for the powered airplane rating to tow gliders.

That fortunately, does not require an ATO. At least not in Germany. Hence, you can go to any FI that has the glider tow rating. In essence, you merely have to do at least 5 tows under supervision of that instructor to ge the rating. That’s it.

P.S. Your profile is empty.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 08 Oct 08:32
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany
Sign in to add your message