Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Free Route Airspace low level safety?

I don’t see any impact on safety.

Indeed the situation in real is different for most of us flying in the lower levels, where DCT are mostly plenty given (at least that’s my experience) of course there is the RAD business with Flight restrictions and DCT’s which are different from country to country and in a way are some sort of pre FRA concept to save fuel…
Basically in mountainous FRA below MORA you need GPS Terrain awareness as your only safeguard.
I am far from sure that your small DCT flight Plan will work in the FRA area :-) maybe it will require you to climb to FL120 to get accepted :-) as there is mountain and the MRVA is FL120 in that area…anyway the future will tell……

EBST

Thank you Martin that is a clear statement :-)

EBST

I really don’t understand the question or the problem either. Sweden has uncontrolled airspace below FL95 (or FL125 in some parts) and in that airspace everything is of course free routing as there is no ATC.

When you fly there you determine a MSA in some way — using grid MORA, tools like Skydemon or something else and then you fly. Flight plans are no problem either.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message