Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Who to contact?

TobiBS wrote:

Normally the text on the Bremen Information frequency contains something like: In urgent or emergency cases contact Bremen Radar, frequency 1XX.XXX. Was this not the case?

On 27-Aug-16 at 0715 I tried to call Bremen Information on 132,65 for asking for the Radar Frequency for an IFR pick up. No reply on that frequency, also no automatic message. This happens the first time to me.
Magnus wrote:

only Mode C transponder and no IFR approved GPS

I wonder that this is possible in Europe. In Germany I legally need Mode S and BRNAV. Does German ATC accept an IFR-flight coming from Sweden without Mode S? And how to fly IFR here without a GPS containing all waypoints? How do they handle such an aircraft?

Berlin, Germany

How is it possible that they require BRNAV? I thought we all have the same rules now and BRNAV is no requirement per SERA/NCO.

Somebody from Germany recently told me that VOR intersections in Germany couldn’t be used as intersections anymore but only as a GPS waypoint. I thought that was rubbish (because as a FAA CPL/IR it just doesn’t make sense to me). What I read in the last posts kind of fits that picture though.

Magnus wrote:

Back to my original question, if I proceeded IFR instead, would it have been different regarding the hand-off, i.e. do you think the radar frequency should have been given to me instead?

Yes, you would have been given the radar frequency.

highflyer wrote:

Does German ATC accept an IFR-flight coming from Sweden without Mode S?

I guess they would. Especially if the equipment listed in the flight plan says so and they are prepared for it.

highflyer wrote:

And how to fly IFR here without a GPS containing all waypoints? How do they handle such an aircraft?

If the controller sends you to a point not in the database (happens every day, even with airliners!) you say “unable RNAV” and he will give you radar vectors or a VOR as fix instead. Many air traffic controllers fly themselves in their free time and know the situation pretty well.

EDDS - Stuttgart

what_next wrote:

If the controller sends you to a point not in the database (happens every day, even with airliners!) you say “unable RNAV” and he will give you radar vectors or a VOR as fix instead.

Very interesting, this is new for me. I suppose this is the reason why some pilots update their database only once a year, it saves money.

Berlin, Germany

On 27-Aug-16 at 0715 I tried to call Bremen Information on 132,65 for asking for the Radar Frequency for an IFR pick up. No reply on that frequency, also no automatic message. This happens the first time to me.

That should definetely not be the case and has never happened to me. The only possibility I see is you were too low to be received by Bremen Information.

Somebody from Germany recently told me that VOR intersections in Germany couldn’t be used as intersections anymore but only as a GPS waypoint.

Are you referring to RNAV intersections composed of two VOR radials or the VOR positions themself? The reason I am asking is, I received some “proceed Elbe, Nörvenich, Bremen intersection” in the past as well, in times when the navaid was out of order or at least degraded. Reason ATC does this is to be sure, you are not trying to tune defunct navaids.

P19 EDFE EDVE EDDS

Normally the text on the Bremen Information frequency contains something like: In urgent>or emergency cases contact Bremen Radar, frequency 1XX.XXX. Was this not the case?

I have had the automatic message from Bremen quite often without any frequency. They just say contact the next radar sector. In case you have no idea about whom to call take the approach chart for a nearby IFR airport and call the tower or departure/arrival frequency given there and they will help you.
In Germany there is a difference in service level and service quality between radar and flight information service. If you can stay with radar do so as long as you can…

When looking at the route in SkyDemon, the airspace is not marked as anything special, so I just incorrectly assumed class G.

I don’t understand why none of the VFR apps or even paper charts properly depicts those default national airspaces. That has been a major shortcoming for as long as I am into aviation.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message