Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK GAR form discussion, and UK border police procedures

Is it not possible to move cash in a boat or ferry?

Is it illegal to move one’s money about the place?

Egnm, United Kingdom

Yes, of course it is possible to move cash by other means – but it’s much more difficult to carry large sums without attracting attention if you are on any form of public transport – and boats are slow, so there is plenty of time for interception.

Have you noticed that anytime you withdraw a large amount of cash from your bank, the teller asks what you plan to do with it? They’re not just passing the time of day, they’re checking to see if you are laundering money.

It’s very illegal to be involved in money laundering or not paying appropriate taxes, and that’s why the movement of money is monitored and controlled (limits on currency movement without reporting it)

EGTT, The London FIR

Have you noticed that anytime you withdraw a large amount of cash from your bank, the teller asks what you plan to do with it?

Unfortunately not.

As far as I know GAR within the EU is only used for immigration control (right?) since UK is out of Schengen. I question how effective the GAR form for light aircraft is from any EU country. How often do you see a C172 filled up with Illegal immigrants?

Jacko, I think your letter should have proposed that instead of filing a GAR form you can opt out and take Nigel Farage with you instead

Have you noticed that anytime you withdraw a large amount of cash from your bank, the teller asks what you plan to do with it?

If I could stifle my rage at their audacity, I would quote George Best.

“I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered.”
Last Edited by flybymike at 18 Dec 16:32
Egnm, United Kingdom

It’s a standard UK bank question when withdrawing more than about 1k (the actual figure I believe depends on the size of the bank branch). They are required to ask. The usual answer is “buying a car” which will cover any amount of money up to about 10k and probably more.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

My own airfield (Glenswinton, in south-west Scotland) is within minutes flying time of friends in Northern Ireland, the Isle of Man and the Irish Republic, but it would be quicker for me to fly to any of their airfields if I lived in France! Time and again we are prevented from using an unexpected weather window to visit fellow Britons because of the 12-hour notification requirement – or rather, because of the way in which that requirement is interpreted by some police forces. It is no exaggeration to say that the way in which some police forces administer the Schedule 7 restrictions on recreational flying makes an Orwellian mockery of the term “Common Travel Area”.

Why don’t you also write to UK and Irish PMs to ask them to join the Schengen treaty?

Last Edited by Nestor at 18 Dec 20:17
LFLY, France

Why don’t you also write to UK and Irish PMs to ask them to join the Schengen treaty?

Absolutely no point.

The UK is edging towards leaving the EU (with the numbers immigrating from other European countries a big issue). So they won’t have any interest in joining the Schengen agreement now, if they didn’t have previously.

The Irish would love to join Schengen, and have stated that previously, but realistically it’s not really possible unless the UK does so too. The only land border that we have is with the UK. Currently due to the “Common Travel Area” between the UK and Ireland there are no border controls whatsoever there. But if we were to join Schengen then border controls would be required there and nobody wants to do that at present (for both political and economic reasons).

If the UK leave the EU, then all bets are off as we may well have to put up land borders due to one country being inside the EU and one outside. If that happens, then there is little reason for us not to join Schengen. But then maybe the British will do the right think and give Northern Ireland back to us after all these years

EIWT Weston, Ireland

IMHO, if the UK leaves the EU, the EU will fall apart anyway because the heavily indebted southern members will spot the chance to default on the loans and build an export-led recovery… I think the UK will come very close to leaving but won’t actually do it – well not unless the EU does something extra stupid like e.g. a ban on eggs under or over a certain weight

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

IMHO, if the UK leaves the EU, the EU will fall apart anyway because the heavily indebted southern members will spot the chance to default on the loans and build an export-led recovery…

I think it’s exactly the opposite: if UK leaves the EU, it would give it the greatest possible boost towards true political/federal integration. Without UK, Germany and France could move freely towards a realistic approach of federalism, of course not with 28 member states, but back to where it started in 1950 for industry with the Schumann declaration , ie. a proposal to merge Germany and France as one true, single, federal nation. This idea has been growing, especially in France, since 2012. For instance, read this article in L’Express (in French): In response to Euroland’s financial crisis, French-German fusion is the best think which could happen to this continent.
AIRBUS could really grow as “one company” only after UK left it. It’s now headed by a German CEO working in Toulouse and doing very well.
Looking at it this way makes me think Nigel’s progress in UK constitute Europe’s greatest opportunity.

Last Edited by Nestor at 19 Dec 03:15
LFLY, France
Sign in to add your message