Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

I'm thinking it might be easier to buy a house in Munich....

Yes – I assumed it happened from rain.

If it happened by digging the prop into soft ground, that’s a mandatory shock load inspection.

However, neither of the two airports in question involves any grass so I guess it must have been airborne.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes, it definitely happened in the air. The taxying in Augsburg and at Paderborn was on tarmac the whole time. (These are large tarmaced airports, not small ones with grass.) It’s the rain or perhaps hail that did this. I’m just surprised by the extent of it. I wonder if, when the blades were touched up at Annual time, they simply used unsuitable paint….and if you look carefully you’ll see that only the cream paint has come off – and very cleanly. This suggests that it is indeed unsuitable (water soluble perhaps ). There was no prop strike except with aqueous precipitation at 140kts.

Last Edited by Howard at 16 Jun 14:58
Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

Really looks like “only” a paint problem, nothing else. I think there is maintenance available at PAD, so if you want, let them have a quick look at it. Other than that, I suppose it doesn’t look too bad.

I know the hotel well… been there many times during the flight sim show which takes place there in spring.

Hope the rest of your trip will be as successful as this leg was!

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

The picture of the prop looks like a painting problem only. You can probably peel off the rest of the paint with your bare fingers. Maybe someone put grease on the prop before applying the paint ;-)

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Same thing used to happen to Spitfires flying in the rain with wooden props. Could lose inches off the tips.

EGTK Oxford

Peter wrote:

Indeed, and often this works because CB bases are often not very low; typically 1500-2000ft. Some problems however:

I try to avoid the grim black vertical development, to avoid flying under the black bands of possible hail and unbelievable blinding rain, having tried and regretted the experience. The trick is to avoid those T-storms, to find gaps far from the dark towers, where the vertical development is less and where you can pass in peace. Doesn’t always work, and if things start looking too tough, you need the discipline to do a 180 and land for an hour or a day or two days until things get better.

Tököl LHTL

You should see the erosion on the tips of a float plane prop after a busy summer… now where did I put that file! Agree with the others, just a bit of flaking paint.

Sans aircraft at the moment :-(, United Kingdom

Thanks all. I’ll take it up with my maintenance people.

Howard

Flying a TB20 out of EGTR
Elstree (EGTR), United Kingdom

This is just a picture from the other side at 9000’ on that day. I hope Howard has made it home by now.

Frequent travels around Europe

Stupid question perhaps, but rather than sell house and buy new one, why not invest in an IR and a WX capable plane? That way you can have almost 100% dispatch and yet still keep the house in the UK. Cheaper than buying new house.

Last Edited by AdamFrisch at 18 Jun 20:00
Sign in to add your message