Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Leaving frequency to take ATIS

Rwy20 wrote:

And since the regulating agencies are staffed by many of the ex employees of such companies, they would never push for an open system that would actually be in the best interest of pilots and their safety.

Strong statement. ATIS of towered airports in Belgium (EBBR, EBLG, EBOS, EBAW, EBCI) is available on the preflight briefing pages of Belgocontrol and can be be listened out via a phonenumber…. so I guess that your statement is not true for Belgium….

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

jfw wrote:

so I guess that your statement is not true for Belgium

You have to register an account, and accept this licence:

4. LIMITED LICENCE

We grant you a limited, revocable, and non-exclusive licence to access and make use of the Website.

You may not frame or utilise framing techniques to enclose the Website or any portion thereof without our prior written consent.

The limited licence set forth in this Section 4 does not include the right to:
- modify or download the Website or its contents (except caching or as necessary to view Content); or
- create any derivative work based upon either the Website or its Content; or
- use any meta tag or any other “hidden text” utilising our name or the Trade Marks without our express written consent: or
- use software robots, spiders, crawlers, or similar data gathering and extraction tools, or take any other action that may impose an unreasonable burden or load on our infrastructure.

So they don’t allow the dissemination of the data by third parties like Golze, Skydemon etc. So I guess my statement is at least partly true also for Belgium (unfortunately, because I would love to be proven wrong and see a regulation like that by the EU, that all safety relevant flight information produced with public money has to be provided in an open, compatible format at one central location. How would that be to honor the “S” in EASA!).

Rwy20 wrote:

So I guess my statement is at least partly true also for Belgium

Agreed on the partly: the information is made available on websites and phone-services, it is true that it is not made available in a form that allows integration in third party software. For the rest I am convinced that the major problem in Europe for a lot of topics is lack on integration and unification…. having all security related information for Europe centralized would be far more easy for every one.

jfw
Belgium: EBGB (Grimbergen, Brussels) - EBNM (Namur), Belgium

But I don’t see why this information couldn’t be mandated to be made publicly available on the internet like METARs,

I suppose the issue is that ATIS is mostly recorded by a person, onto a cassette tape, or in modern installations onto some hard disk storage. I think some really modern places generate the voice digitally from some predefined phrases, with an option to add custom voice stuff to it (e.g. “there is a EuroGA fly-in so the airport is closed”).

So the data doesn’t exist digitally.

Some airports have ATIS on a phone number so you could get it over a voice satphone. Shoreham used to have this, for example.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

So the data doesn’t exist digitally.

You must have overread my post stating that it is already being done, ATIS is available digitally on many airports. Or you don’t believe me and just keep stating the same thing time and again?

Here is an article that states:

As of September 2001, there are 19 locations where D-ATIS is available in Europe, with a further 28 planned.

I am sure that by 2016, this number has even increased, but I don’t find any conclusive information about it and don’t feel the need to search for it.

Or you don’t believe me and just keep stating the same thing time and again?

I just don’t have the time to read every post, sorry.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

The phone/tablet/phablet is already there showing the moving map and the route, and unless you are 10k+ there is no problems with connectivity

On 95% of my arrivals I’m above 10k when switched to approach radar when I’m supposed to provide ATIS letter on initiall call.

LeSving wrote:

Besides, I have seen no places where ATIS is mandatory

Maybe you should fly to different places

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Some countries (i.e. France) have bi-lingual ATIS. I find that quite cumbersome as 50% of the ATIS transmission is unusable for me.
When it’s busy on the primary frequency it takes me a lot of time to copy the ATIS.

Emir wrote:

Maybe you should fly to different places

Show me a reference where it say ATIS is mandatory please (AIP preferably). I have not seen any, but would be happy to be proven wrong.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Show me a reference where it say ATIS is mandatory please (AIP preferably).

AIP The Netherlands, AD EHAM. Several references like the one below, both for IFR and VFR, for both arriving and departing aircraft.

1.3.2.2 Procedures
[…]
The pilot shall report ready on the Schiphol Planner channel when:
[…]
The report shall include:
aircraft identification (e.g. KLM121).
position (e.g. D12).
ATIS information (e.g. information P).
report ready.

Similar entries in the AIP description for other controlled airfields (mil and civil) in the Netherlands.

What it essentially boils down to is that if the airfield has an ATIS, you are supposed to listen to it before contacting the local ATC provider, and identify the ATIS letter on first contact. And all controlled airfields, at least here, have an ATIS.

Last Edited by BackPacker at 18 Apr 14:06
Sign in to add your message