Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Leaving frequency to take ATIS

LeSving wrote:

I can’t remember ever having listened to ATIS in flight.

I think it’s a legal requirement. If you don’t quote the ATIS designator on first contact with the approach controller he will ask you to confirm you have the current ATIS. And if something goes wrong he can say that you as the pilot were aware of the meteorological conditions because you confirmed the ATIS.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

Vladimir wrote:

I think it’s a legal requirement

What law? It must be in the AIP, maybe it is?

Vladimir wrote:

If you don’t quote the ATIS designator on first contact with the approach controller he will ask you to confirm you have the current ATIS

Never happened. The only thing is departure, then the ATC expect “have information whatever” when requesting clearance. When entering the TMA/CTR you come from an airspace where information is available upon contact for all and everything anyway. I guess I could listen to the ATIS, but the only reason would have been I don’t want to contact information. When contacting information, they will give you the information you need, if they know where you are going.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Getting the ATIS in flight means that you are getting prepared for the arrival, well ahead of time. You know the runway, the conditions, etc.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Isn’t it that airlines get all that via ACARS or how it’s called?

Can’t we have a similar data link via the ADL?

Frequent travels around Europe

Of course there is no law that requires you to take the ATIS. As Aviathor says, it’s a question of airmanship.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Of course there is no law that requires you to take the ATIS.

Depends on where you are. For example does the Austrian radiotelephony handbook (all of them are based on the ICAO Raditelephony Hanbook) say, that informing ATC about the latest ATIS received upon first contact is “verpflichtend” (mandatory).

EDDS - Stuttgart

I think in Europe (unlike the US) ATIS are not published electronically. In the US with ADS-B or Nexrad you will get the letter and runway assignment etc. I think METAR is as close as you can get here. I am sure Sebastian will be along to explain.

EGTK Oxford

Silvaire wrote:

in the US not having the ATIS on initial call is considered at about the same level as forgetting the aircraft registration, particularly as its the only way you get the altimeter setting

How is it the only way? ATC can always pass it on to you…

I always get the ATIS in flight, usually on the second COM. In Germany, I find that controllers more often than not pass the QNH to me anyway, even if I let them know the correct ATIS code.

Hungriger Wolf (EDHF), Germany

Providing ATIS letter and quoting QHN is specified in AIP and if you forget to give it as part of first contact (departure or arrival) you usually get polite “please check information …”

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

what_next wrote:

Depends on where you are. For example does the Austrian radiotelephony handbook (all of them are based on the ICAO Raditelephony Hanbook) say, that informing ATC about the latest ATIS received upon first contact is “verpflichtend” (mandatory).

Under which law will you be prosecuted if you don’t, and is such a prosecution likely to succeed? I mean, we are not talking about airspace infringement here! If every irregularity in R/T procedures would be considered “illegal”, then there isn’t a single pilot or ATCO in the world who is on the right side of the law.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden
Sign in to add your message