Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

The FAA Common Purpose cost sharing rule, and does it apply outside the USA?

FAA clarifies / relaxes the cost sharing rules

Well, only a little bit.

AC 61-142 – Sharing Aircraft Operating Expenses in Accordance with 14 CFR § 61.113 (c) local copy

Not much use for Wingly then…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I am really not sure how much the “FAA Common Purpose” rule is followed or policed in practice in the US?

Judging by US online pilot groups Forums/FB (10% chance the cost-sharing is legal), people do seem more relaxed about a public post like “I bring aircraft & you bring gas, let’s go flying”, where only those interested in that specific flight reply to that request

On UK online pilot groups Forums/FB (90% chance the cost-sharing is legal), each time you see a post, you will read chapters and verses on ANO/EASA cost-sharing rules, max 6 per, pro-rata, wingly, CPL, AOC, illegal charters, Sala…

Last Edited by Ibra at 04 Mar 16:11
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

We have had this sort of discussion here before. My feeling is that US pilots face the issue a lot less because they are a lot less “on the margin” financially. In Europe, and especially in the UK, a large % of flights would absolutely not be considered unless the flight could be cost shared. Accordingly, before EASA relaxed the cost sharing regs, there was a pile of “seat sharing” websites which advertised flights which would definitely not take place unless the applicant stuck his hands in his pocket and contributed (but this could not be stated openly). In the US they have strict rules on this but the pilots seem a lot more relaxed to start with about collecting contributions. So, while the US rules could be equally circumvented by such a “seat sharing” website scheme, there seems to be little demand for it.

As usual, it all works until there is a crash

Administrator

Ibra wrote:

I am really not sure how much the “FAA Common Purpose” rule is followed or policed in practice in the US?

Very strictly if you are caught. Leaving a paper trail is not a good idea,

KUZA, United States

This is relevant.

Administrator
35 Posts
Sign in to add your message