Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Anyone fancy a trip to Nuremberg EDDN? (and charter / CPL / AOC / etc discussion)

Hello all, first post here, I’m not a pilot but I am an avgeek and would love to learn to fly if I ever get the funds and the time to do so!

I’m trying to find a way of getting to an exhibition in Nuremberg on either the 1st or 2nd of March, would anybody be interested in flying us from the Leeds area to Nuremberg (and back)? I’m happy to either cost share or pay in full if you have a commercial license. I would usually fly commercial but all the flights go out there quite late and get back quite early, so we would only end up with an hour or two at the exhibition. It’s important to get there and back in a day.

Thanks in advance!

Fred

United Kingdom

@-fred there are some posters who have turbine equipment and might contemplate a 1200nm return journey in a day, but I don’t believe they have an AOC. What you are proposing is charter not cost sharing.

Oxford (EGTK), United Kingdom

@RobertL18C Unless he is looking for a pilot with commercial license, not the whole flight organization.

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

I think holding a CPL should make you even more aware about the issues around grey charter?

Sorry, to be clear I’m not encouraging grey charters or anything like that, and I agree it is too much of a flight for your typical wingly pa28 pilot, but I just thought I would ask the question. If someone has a capable IFR machine like an SR22 or even a turbine, that would like a day in Nuremberg and would be happy to do the flight at a reasonable price, then that’s exactly what I’m looking for. I would only accept the offer if it were conducted strictly within all the rules that apply, and I’ll defer to your greater knowledge on that side of things😁

United Kingdom

I don’t see a problem with this; under current UK cost sharing regs (which are inherited from the EU under the Withdrawal Act) a passenger can pay almost the whole “direct cost” of the flight.

The rules are being looked at and if this goes through, cost sharing will be substantially harder in the UK. Or maybe anywhere in a G-reg? Not checked the details?

ICAO code added – hope it is the right one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

a passenger can pay almost the whole “direct cost” of the flight.

Isn’t the spirit and interpretation of the law that there should be a common purpose? The pilot had a reason to go to Nuremberg from Leeds and return the same day. Not sure this works in this context.

Also a non AOC accepting to go and return in a day even in a SR22 (two four hour sectors) hits a host of issues, not least whether the pilot is paying any lip service to sensible duty hours.

spirit and interpretation of the law that there should be a common purpose?

Spirit is not the law

That proposal is not law yet AFAIK.

Also a non AOC accepting to go and return in a day even in a SR22 (two four hour sectors) hits a host of issues, not least whether the pilot is paying any lip service to sensible duty hours.

Regardless of what it looks like, the current legal position is that this is ok. That is what e.g. Wingly does much/most of the time. However I don’t think many pilots will be willing because there are the non-shareable costs and it will cost whoever does it quite a packet, even with maximum passenger contribution. Also is returning same day even possible, given airport opening hours? Which “Leeds”?

Taking the most expensive, EGNM, you have
0700-2300 (0600-2200). PPR outside of these hours.
So you are going to need something a whole lot faster than a Cessna piston For the pilot, this will be one helluva long day, even in a TBM (which would cost Fred a few k).

Before the UK law on advertising cost shared flights (“only within club premises” etc) changed due to EASA, these flights were advertised widely as “seat sharing” but in reality almost no pilot would do one unless the passenger paid.

Administrator

RobertL18C wrote:

Isn’t the spirit and interpretation of the law that there should be a common purpose? The pilot had a reason to go to Nuremberg from Leeds and return the same day. Not sure this works in this context.

Right, so if I decide now to go to EDDN (just because I like flying), what is there to stop me from inviting the OP on a flight?
And if agree on a cost sharing, well, then would pay his share.
Common purpose could the love for flying or the fact that someone always wanted to go to Nuremberg.

EGTR

There is no “common purpose” requirement in Europe, currently. It is an FAA thing.

Administrator
87 Posts
Sign in to add your message