Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CO detector / how much carbon monoxide is acceptable in the cockpit

I have a detector from B&Q. There will be a similar source in France.
It is not certified for aviation No sound in the Bolkow. I had it in my flight bag, forgotten. It went off in the Jodel DR1050. It worked.
The Jodel spot didn’t change.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

My BW Gasalert

Well yes but it costs over €1000!!! Just looked.

I think I’ll end up ordering from Sporty’s and just putting up with the extra cost/delay/hassle. I can get some windshield cleaner while I’m at it, another product totally unobtainable in Europe.

LFMD, France

Must be the wrong one. It was £100-200, 20 years ago. It’s an industrial quality one. No idea what could be 1k.

For windshields, Plexus is the best.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just ordered the Tocsin ($170) and a couple of cans of Plexus from Sportys. They haven’t quoted shipping yet. We’ll see.

LFMD, France

Well so much for that – they won’t ship Plexus internationally (it’s an aerosol, oh my god we’re all going to die…) and they want $35 to ship the detector. There’s a place in Switzerland (Kniebrett) – but shipping is expensive and I can’t find anyone else in Europe that sells them. Sigh.

The trouble with domestic ones is that they have very high alarm levels, e.g. the X-Sense, only €32 but it needs 300 ppm before it alerts immediately!

LFMD, France

Doesn’t France have “pilot shops”, like e.g. Transair in the UK?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I bought the BW CO detector at Anatrac in Tarragona, they shipped it to me and may do the same to France.
Part number BWC2-M20100. About 200 €. I can PM you the contact data of the guy to talk to.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I think most clubs here just use the stick on pastels. I know of 2 who have suffered he effects of CO. One didn’t think of looking at the pastel. Maybe checking them should become part of the check list.
Neither died by the way.

France

Doesn’t France have “pilot shops”, like e.g. Transair in the UK?

The only mail-order one I know is boutique.aero in Toulouse. I have bought a bunch of stuff from them, but the only CO detector they sell is the stick-on one. They also don’t sell Plexus :-(

Amazingly, there is a bricks-and-mortar one at Gap, but when I was there the other day it was Sunday and they were closed. I’ll have to go up there during the week and check them out.

LFMD, France

There are a couple more but since I stopped reading Info Pilote,where they advertise , I don’t recall the names. Toussus le Noble used to have a large shop.
Most clubs don’t bother with special air plexiglass cleaners. Go along to the local club and have a look what they use to clean a DA40 or a Robin. More important is a dry microfiber cloth.

France
Sign in to add your message