Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

CO detector / how much carbon monoxide is acceptable in the cockpit

Peter wrote:

Is there a real technical reason why the electronic CO detectors should have a limited life?

If only stored in breathable atmosphere, the active substrate on such detectors (SnO2) does not degrade. Depending on the environment, you will, however, find dust accumulating over time on the sensor that reduces the practical active surface and therefore the sensitivity. As the surface is structured (to increase the active area), it is typically much cheaper to buy a new sensor than to clean the old one…

Maoraigh wrote:

I forgot about it while flying the Jodel DR1050, until it went off, and continued bleeping until lifted out of the cockpit after landing. The CO spot hadn’t changed.

Inexpensive consumer grade CO detectors are not really specific just to CO. They also detect methane and are even more sensitive to n-Hexane, Benzene, Ethanol and some other components of e.g. fuel.
Therefore if you have a higher concentration of fuel gases in the cockpit it is quite normal that your electronic CO detector beeps while the spot (that is based on chemical reaction) stays yellow.

Germany

aart wrote:

I’ve got the BW Gasalert, like Peter (post 17090). Needs to be thrown away after 2 years.

The model that needs to be thrown away after 2 or 3 years is the GasAlert​Clip Extreme. The GasAlert Extreme (no “Clip” in the name) needs periodic recalibration, but doesn’t have a specific limited life; the sensor is replaceable (albeit not exactly cheaply), too.

ELLX

I had it posted few years ago but the relevant post around 2013~14 with the links in this thread seems to be missing.
I repost the links for the record.

This is the CO detector I operate meticulously in each flight.
I’m very happy with its operation.

https://www.conrad.com/p/greisinger-gco-100-carbon-monoxid-detector-122364

https://www.greisinger.de/p/handmessgeraete-und-sensoren/gasanalyse/kohlenmonoxid/geraete/gco-100/600062/

LGMG Megara, Greece

Call me a cheapskate, but this is what I use. If it can protect you in your house, why not an Aircraft? Plus at £ 23.00 you can change it every 12 months (or 6 months) so it is probably safer than the approved items which sit there soaking up moisture for years on end

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fireangel-CO-9D-Digital-Sealed-Monoxide/dp/B00441S9GS

Fixed on with Velcro of course………..also I am on my third one in 3 years and they have never bleeped with fuel etc so hopefully works with proper CO!

Last Edited by Archer-181 at 15 Dec 20:40
United Kingdom

I really ought to get a decent electronic CO detector. Anyone have any suggestions for something I can easily buy in France (i.e. not from Sporty’s etc, with all the hassle of freight charges, customs, …)?

Boutique.aero only have the useless “spot” thing that you stick on the panel. Amazon doesn’t come up with anything suitable.

Thanks…

LFMD, France

Amazon.fr search for “Détecteur de CO” delivers 7 pages of results…

In addition to that: I would not call these “spot” thing useless. Many of the reasons why you have CO in a GA cockpit are not singular catastrophic events, but actually build over time. Such a spot thing is actually not too bad to detect an issue before it becomes a problem.

Germany

I don’t think the “spot” detectors are any good, due to poor sensitivity and due to being affected by moisture.

BTW, for a more effective search, check out near the end of posting tips and in particular use double quotes e.g.

“carbon monoxide”

and the AND / OR operators (have to be UPPERCASE) are very useful too e.g.

carbon AND monoxide

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes but they’re all intended for domestic use and none seems suitable for the plane. Hence why I’m asking here…

LFMD, France

I am happy to buy something and post it to you. Unfortunately, UK stuff sent to the mainland is “held up in Customs” (just goes on a pile) for about a week, even if sent by DHL

My BW Gasalert (see further back) is working great after about 20 years. Picks up the CO from a plane landing before me.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

johnh wrote:

Yes but they’re all intended for domestic use and none seems suitable for the plane. Hence why I’m asking here…

What’s the difference?
It is still going to show you the PPM and it will whine every time you takeoff, otherwise should be OK, right?
Only cheaper! :)

EGTR
Sign in to add your message