Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Touring and tying down

The BBC article, in case it disappears…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Damn! That thing would have killed an elephant!

That’s incredible. Not the weight of a “full” concrete tire, but still.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

It’s an issue for me as I travel a lot. I find it annoying when there are no tie down rings or blocks. It’s hard to imagine a wind that would move the plane with concrete filled tires, but I’m sure it’s possible. I’ve used spiral aluminum pegs, but hope for low winds.

Tököl LHTL

WhiskeyPapa wrote:

It’s hard to imagine a wind that would move the plane with concrete filled tires

You lack imagination… :-)

Let’s assume a regular car tyre filled with concrete, it will weigh something between 50 and 100kg, i’d guess. You can’t easily lift it, but you can certainly drag it. Can you lift or drag your aircraft?

Biggin Hill

Just get a heavier plane.

Seriously, one rarely sees aircraft weighing more than one ton empty being tied down. With the SR22, I don’t worry much about tying down any more if the are no tie-downs readily available. One, I don’t normally fly (or stay) where the weather is real bad. Two, tying down down (with the usual kit) really only serves to calm one’s nerves (which may well be a sufficient reason to do it), but not really 100% protect the aircraft.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

With the SR22, I don’t worry much about tying down any more if the are no tie-downs readily available.

I have been next to a F33A which wanted to go on the apron at Gdansk. we had to park heavy equipment in front of it and attach concrete blocks to the wheels. Before that night I did not believe a plane would behave that way.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Once our BE33 was moved by the storm arround 4 meters, although we have had applied chocks and attached sand bags on the three tie down points. After the storm I called tower to see if everything is okay with our Bonnie and he replied: „Lucky guy, she is still on the apron.“

EDDS , Germany

However it would be interesting to know, what kind of forces acted on the aircraft while it was thrown around.

Last Edited by europaxs at 19 Dec 11:44
EDLE

@europaxs It was reported 95 knots gusting up to 120 knots. But I don‘t think that the aircraft was hit by the full power of the wind, because there is a building in the main wind direction. So the plane was protected by it.

EDDS , Germany
Sign in to add your message