Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Coverage and data comparison SkyDemon / EasyVFR (ex. PocketFMS)

LeSving – I do not know where you get your “SD has not got the small airfields” impression from, or “you cannot use it in strange places”. I used it even in South Africa and it not only has the public but also all the private strips – even godforsaken places like http://amphibackpackers.co.za/ which is very hard to find from the air as the “runway” has no markings at all (you could probably land in any of the fields around you’d be better off) or the amazing little runway our friend &organiser Dave has set up at Nyoka Ridge: http://www.pilotspost.co.za/arn0000136.

None of the small airfields around me is in there, even though they are plotted on the official ICAO map. Maybe in South Africa SD is excellent, but not where I live.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Are you sure it’s not down to the SD display setting selected? SOmething like this: http://forums.skydemon.aero/Topic16289.aspx

Last Edited by Shorrick_Mk2 at 03 Aug 12:59

I don’t use SD. I have only tested it, lots of airfield missing, uninstalled it and continued using Easy VFR

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Maybe the testing wasn’t thorough enough ^^ :)

I have been working with Pocket FMS since ever I came back. Easy VFR is the logical consequence, it is much “riper” than Easy VFR was, even though I prefer the “old” PC based Pocket FMS desktop version for route planning.

What I usually do is this:
- I plan the route with PocketFMS 2.06 the last version they did before Easy VFR came out. Transfer the route onto the Garmin portable.
- On the day, I load the route into Easy VFR (desktop), have it generate the Trip Kit (which is excellent) and print that out.
- Enroute I use both the Garmin portable and Easy VFR as VFR GPS.

I have not worked with Skydemon or Airnav Pro, so I can’t comment. But I have to say, I prefer this way of planning because it is very straightforward and useable. And I prefer the vector maps of PocketFMS / Easy VFR to the official ICAO charts for look and feel.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Shorrick_Mk2 wrote:

Maybe the testing wasn’t thorough enough

Why? EasyVFR got all I need. If SD want me as a customer, then at least they have to present me something workable for me. If it’s popular and works well in the UK and South Africa, well, good for you

ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

LeSving wrote:

None of the small airfields around me is in there

Where are you? Can you give an example of an airfield that is missing?

LSZH, LSZF, Switzerland

LeSving wrote:

None of the small airfields around me is in there, even though they are plotted on the official ICAO map.

In that case you should complain. SD staff are usually pretty good at fixing this kind of thing.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

My hunch is that it has something to do with minimum runway length which is a user setting. If it is in the AIP, it’s there.

Sign in to add your message