Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

In-flight icing incident in Cirrus SR22T (FIKI)

stevelup wrote:

If I had to criticise, it’s a bit of a cultural thing. Everyone is just too polite on there – it feels like Sunday School sometimes. I guess that’s just a reflection on the fact that most upper-middle class Americans probably are a bit more religiously enlightened than us infidels

Nice to know that such places still exist. In fact, I am pretty much with Flyer59 here, the agressiveness in European Forums, not necessarily only in flight forums, is something I really had to adapt to after starting in Compuserve in 1993. Sometimes I get very nostalgic at the level of discussion as well as the level of politeness which was then a very normal thing and ruthlessly enforced by the sysops. And at the time, it was not a question of moving on to other places if you got thrown out, in fact, at that time it meant you were more or less offline as there was no www to speak of to get back to.

Places like AVSIG or FSFORUM (later simpilot) were places where you would meet people like John Deakin (that is where I know him from), Randy Sohn and many others (or chatting to Bruce Artwick over in FSF), stuff which today simply does not really happen anymore. The scene is totally split up in different interest groups and small places like this one, because the big forums are usually uncontrollable and very tough places to keep the garbage from the rest.

Have to say, this here forum is probably one which comes closest to those times: The people here are nice to talk to and know what they are talking about. Big difference to some other forums. Hope it will stay that way as Euroga gets bigger.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland

Shorrick, you are bringing interesting elements to the troubleshooting process. The icing hypothesis seems to be less likely, regarding to these datas.

Does someone know why one waste gate only was set up ?
Is it the case in others twin turbocharged airplanes, such as the Cessna 400 ?

If the problem was linked to the waste gate, should Aeroplus have retrieve one inch of MP every 1000ft during the descent ?
Do we know if the were went immediately back after the alternate air showing up on the MFD ?

Hope it will stay that way as Euroga gets bigger.

EuroGA will always stay that way. I have been “around” this scene since the Compu$erve forums c. 1993 so “been there and seen it all” and seen how most of them got trashed. It’s been attempted here too, a few times. But I have kept out of this “diversion” because there is little I can say without disparaging specific forums and that is against our Guidelines

If the problem was linked to the waste gate, should Aeroplus have retrieve one inch of MP every 1000ft during the descent ?

That was what I was thinking. We don’t have much info to go, but I would be surprised if the turbo fixed itself for the subsequent flight.

Do we know if the were went immediately back after the alternate air showing up on the MFD ?

Yes – another very good observation. The pilot did report that the alternate air door didn’t open so presumably the MFD was actually saying that (no other way to know).

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The original Continental setup on the TSIO 550 k is with one tube that links left and right side exhaust banks and allows the use of one wastegate for both turbos. Subsequent setups use a wastegate per side and no pressure equalising linking tube. Why only one wastegate… probably because the conservative thinking of aero engine makers considered one automatic wastegate as already something very daring, failure prone – or too expensive to install in twos…

Another good photo of the alternate air box and door – page 14.

http://taaflight.com/images/SR22T_Presentation.pdf

So far there have been negative reports about under cowl TKS fluid. Not many but nobody saying yes to evidence of such an event.

Will keep the request alive and get more people to participate. Will keep you posted.

KHTO, LHTL

I think the stuff is pretty corrosive, no matter that they say it’s not. On many Cirrus Aircraft after a couple of years the metal flap pylon covers have to be replaced becasue of corrosion … and my suspision is that it has to do with the TKS fluid

Well we did an experiment with aircraft aluminum and TKS fluid in various concentrations and temperatures which lasted for 6 months. What we found that it does not corrode aluminum.

1. However what does happen is that dissimilar metals do cause the corrosion. It was found that were the strips were put on if the area underneath was not prepped properly water would get underneath and cause filiform corrosion. Nothing to do with TKS fluid.

2. Also where the panels are bonded with rivets to the leading edge have to applied so that no electrolysis can happen.

It took us a while but by experimentation we eliminated those which didnt and those which did cause problems.

I sealed the strips so that water can not lay under the panel. Also we had the rivets bonded so it wouldnt cause corrosion. So far 20 yrs later all is well.

KHTO, LHTL

C210_Flyer wrote:

Well we did an experiment with aircraft aluminum and TKS fluid in various concentrations and temperatures which lasted for 6 months. What we found that it does not corrode aluminum.

Although that may be true, TKS WILL displace light oils such as LPS1 and the like, which tend to serve as corrosion inhibitors.

I’ve posted about this before: I had a situation on the empenage of a TKS equipped Mooney Ovation where the the elevator linkage bell-crank pivot bolt became rusted to the bushing an required some very delicate surgery to remove for replacement. Seems this is common on the type with TKS and is attributed to the TKS fluid displacing the oil that otherwise protects the steel bolts & bushings.

FAA A&P/IA
LFPN

If TKS displaces ACF-50 that would be quite a big issue!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message