Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

EBBU FIR closed yesterday GA flying impact

Heard about the “Bastard Operator from Hell”?

Been an addict for years beyond count – I have f____d up some users as bad as he reported, but never managed to keep my face as straight…

Hello world we lost contact with Brussels

Yes, that seemed incredible to me too. Why for example did EBAW Antwerp have to discontinue its (poor little bit of) airline traffic? The F50’s can easily operate VFR. The complete shutdown of the entire EBBU FIR must have been a measure of sheer panic – lucky for you it wasn’t taken all too literally, iow at least some people kept up professionalism and common sense.

Last Edited by at 28 May 17:15
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

The F50’s can easily operate VFR.

They woudn’t need to if the airspace was downgraded to class G for the occasion.

LFPT, LFPN

So is this like you going non radio – if you are in the FIR with no one to talk to do you proceed with the last clearance?

For IFR in class G you need continuous two-way comms. The station providing FIS in class G was down as well…

EBST, Belgium

So is this like you going non radio – if you are in the FIR with no one to talk to do you proceed with the last clearance?

They must have some (secret) rules for this, otherwise terrorists could just blow up the power supplies and then fly anywhere they want.

It could be a bit like asking what clearance you have when you get handed by France to “London 124.60”

For IFR in class G you need continuous two-way comms

Not in the UK You can go non-radio.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes but we are discussing the EBBU FIR here.

EBST, Belgium

Yes, that seemed incredible to me too. Why for example did EBAW Antwerp have to discontinue its (poor little bit of) airline traffic? The F50’s can easily operate VFR. The complete shutdown of the entire EBBU FIR must have been a measure of sheer panic – lucky for you it wasn’t taken all too literally, iow at least some people kept up professionalism and common sense
bq. Quote

A part of EBAW IFR traffic departed VFR to the Netherlands border and got an IFR pick-up.

Vie
EBAW/EBZW

Presumably had you been in the FIR Belgium Mil would have effectively taken over? I wonder what their capability is to deal with the existing traffic. Unlike the US closure where NAS still had radio so were able to manage the shut down in a controlled way.

Presumably unrelated, but my flight plan through Belgium tomorrow was just suspended, unsuspended and suspended again.

Eventually fixed with 3 calls to the IFPS help desk (who are always exceptionally helpful) and a very slight reroute. Seems the military were reserving airspace at short notice.

EGEO

Eventually fixed with 3 calls to the IFPS help desk (who are always exceptionally helpful) and a very slight reroute. Seems the military were reserving airspace at short notice.

This is one reason why I personally prefer to file rather late. Chances that you got the final airspace setup are higher that way. autorouter updates the airspace use plan (AUP) every few minutes.

Belgium has an incredible amount of money to spend on military exercises. I believe it is the most active airforce in Europe although I cannot recall it ever having been in combat. There is always something going on… while the German forces trailor their Eurofighters on the highways.

Sign in to add your message