Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is TKS worthwhile in a non turbo aircraft?

Was referring to you example P.1 of this thread.
8000ft of cold stuff, beginning somewhere near from the ground.

Considering your answer, that shouldn’t be a problem either.

Yes i would depart into that but then only if VMC could prob99 be reached, which it will not with a typical warm front which has tops say FL250.

Others have different views

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

@denopa Yes I saw the same ICE situation, I think you passed a emb TCU. The biggest mistake is flying to low and IMC. At FL250 it is colder (not the bad temp area +5/-10) and probably VMC to avoid TCU´s.

EDAZ

@cheshunt
What FL did you fly in your case to cope with the same situation ?

You will never get icing between 0 and +5C, at piston GA speeds and assuming your OAT probe is spot on and properly installed (not the standard Aspen RSM one, for example, which reads something based on how much heat leaks from the cockpit up through the roof),

Administrator

I had an interesting meeting with AirPlus at the Aero show about fitting the TKS to a TB20.

@achimha – cost estimate was pretty accurate – about €48000 (although it seems to vary a bit even within a specific aircraft type – you have to complete a questionnaire about your particular plane to get an accurate quote).

The AirPlus people struck me as professional. However, even if one is prepared to pay the cost, it’s not really practical as getting a kit out of CAV appears to be next to impossible. It seems that they’ve got all the work they want/can handle factory fitting TKS to SR22s and Cessna Caravans. So, if I really want TKS, I’ll have to change planes. Anybody fancy a TB20GT?

TJ
Cambridge EGSC
Anybody fancy a TB20GT?

Nah, the consensus on the forum is they’re no good airplanes…

I thought about it, too but I had the same two major concerns: price and reputation of CAV. In addition I was not convinced by what I heard and saw from AirPlus. It’s quite an involved process with a lot of opportunity for things to go wrong.

I think it’s too expensive … Maybe when you have a plane like Peter’s with all that equipment no other TB20 will ever have it’s “worth” it, but for the average plane? Forget it. sell and buy another one …

Did you talk to CAV, they were at the show too?

Oxford and Bidford

However, even if one is prepared to pay the cost, it’s not really practical as getting a kit out of CAV appears to be next to impossible

What is the exact issue? A long lead time?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message