Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which Plane to buy?

The Columbia 300/350 had it as well (18,000 feet).

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Here you go, for the TB20, today

129kt IAS

10.2 USG/hr, 4000ft, +1C

Landed on runway 20 (bearing 203) with wind 270/30, not the slightest problem. In 12 years I have not cancelled a single flight due to surface wind.

BTW I am surprised that flights in those planes above say 17500ft are criminal offences.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Well, it’s not a criminal offence but a limit by POH.
I see, you have no TAS indication, that’s why you love IAS ;-)

What was the Power Setting, do you remember?

Most POH perf figures are not legal limits.

I have the TAS subscale on the IAS but it wasn’t set correctly (the reading is showing 155).

MP was 21", 2400rpm. Maybe you can get a rough power setting from here, but I was slightly LOP.

Administrator

So what would the limit of 17.500 in the POH mean if it was not a “legal limit”. I am quite sure it is, because it is part of the certification.
In REAL life it’s not a problem anyway. The SR22 NA will easily climb above FL 200 if really necessary, but i don’t do that anyway.

So what would the limit of 17.500 in the POH mean if it was not a “legal limit”. I am quite sure it is, because it is part of the certification.
In REAL life it’s not a problem anyway. The SR22 NA will easily climb above FL 200 if really necessary, but i don’t do that anyway.

I suspect that it would albeit in contradiction of the POH limitation, but remember that you really need an O2 mask rather than cannulas above 18000.

EGSC

I have masks, not a problem!

A mask (rather than a cannula) is mandatory above 18,000 feet (FAR 23.1447).

However, this regulation starts with the words “If oxygen dispensing units are installed” which most likely means it was written to cover installed systems, whose operating limitations are in the Aircraft Flight Manual and legally must be followed.

Portable systems appear to be unregulated, as is the vast majority of “portable” aviation equipment applicable to Part 91 (private flight) operations.

Practically, modern oxygen systems using the MH O2D2 electronic demand regulator work well above 18k, delivering 95% blood oxygen at FL200 (I’ve tested this many times on various people).

91.1447 was written decades before any of this gear came on the market. It was written for typical turbocharged SEP scenarios, which is a big fixed steel cylinder in the back, and a constant flow feed to each occupant, via a constant flow cannula. That is a really poor means of delivery – as well as wasting a lot of gas.

Administrator

Also, it isn’t that cannulas work perfectly at FL170, and don’t work at all at FL200…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Both masks and cannulas need to be supported by a oxygen measuring device if you don’t want to risk problems.

I bought one of those a few years back for about €40 or so. Good possibility to check whether the oxygen you get is enough.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message