Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Instrument Rating and visual landings...

Since I got my instrument rating early 2013 I have flown mainly to larger airports, with instrument approaches and good facilities like PAPI, runway lighting, etc.
My flying profile has changed since then. I fly less frequently, but do larger trips and longer flights. It is not unusual that I fly for 4 hours, followed by a single landing. So even if I make a lot of hours, I do relatively few landings. And even less visual landings…

While I feel very confident flying Instrument appoaches, I start feeling slightly uncomfortable flying circuits.
When you come from FL180, a 30 degree-bank turn to final at 500ft AGL just doesn’t feel right…

I’ve decided to do some circuit flying practice, and visit some small VFR airfields.

Does anyone recognize the above? My landings in general are OK and safe.
It’s just this feeling of discomfort I want to get over.

Rather than practice VFR circuits, which are usually at about 1000’ and can be quite large, it might be better to practice the circle to land after an IAP. That’s usually at about 500’ and very close in, it’s also part of the revalidation skill test. After that a VFR circuit feels huge.

Yes , like you, as an instrument pilot I don’t get much practice at visual landings. I think Ted P’s suggestion is an excellent one, especially as the US experience shows a high accident rate for circle to lands, particularly at night. Hopefully most aerodromes can be persuaded to let you practice low level, though I guess some will have to take note of the complaints from the local residents.

I think too many people get the IR and never fly VFR/locally again much after that.

It’s just too tempting to do that. IFR is just a brilliant way to fly to places.

For me, I don’t do long trips often enough. In the summer, time and passenger availability (I don’t like to fly alone) permitting, I might do 3-4 a month, but that is hard to do in the winter, not least due to the destination being of little interest when you are freezing your balls off. So I try hard to fly once a week locally when not doing the long ones, and those flights are almost never land-away because that is extra hassle and another hour or two wasted. Those flights make sure I can still land with a tight circuit.

It’s a bit like the people who buy a TBM “because they can” and their previous 100hrs/year currency turns into 30hrs/year which is no good, especially on a TBM.

But a lot of people don’t like to just fly locally…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

I’m not IR rated, so can’t comment on your exact situation, but I think that there are many similarities in all areas of aviation.

If you don’t do something regularly, you feel cautious about doing it again.

Pilots who only fly to controlled airfields feel uneasy about visiting an uncontrolled field. Pilots who hasn’t been to a larger field in a long time feel uneasy about going to one.

Pilots who haven’t gone abroad in a few years, feel uneasy about that too.

Pilots who havent flow in anything other than CAVOK for a while feel uneasy about going in not so good weather.

If you haven’t been into a short filed in a while, it can be scary to go to one.

And pilots who haven’t flown in a while can feel uneasy simply about going flying!

I suppose it’s a good thing. it makes up a little cautious about doing something that is no longer natural, even if it once was. As for circuits, I don’t think you’ve a lot to worry about. Fly one or two and you’ll be fine again. It’s swapping 2km of runway to 500mtrs that will take a little practice again. But that will come back quickly too.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

When flying pure VFR usually the traffic pattern in very similar. What I feel is most difficult is flying IFR visual approaches. You are often approaching the airport from very unusal angles and quite often you are too high. In the last month I did quite a few of these approaches and that can be a lot more challenging than to follow a standard IFR procedure. And do not forget to bring down the gear if you do a visual straight in landing dropping like a stone from the flight levels.
Doing IFR procedures in CAVOK is standard here in Germany but in many other countries like the US the controller will ask you to report when the field is in sight and then clear you for the visual approach in order to bring you in as fast as possible.

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Did only glider towing for a several years and then once did a prof check on an international airport. The examiner mentioned after the flight it was not necessary to barrel roll the aircraft in order to fly the pattern…I know what your talking about..
Best approach is to fly various missions I guess

EBST

Rather than practice VFR circuits, which are usually at about 1000’ and can be quite large

They are only as large as you make them, a good reason to practice!

They are only as large as you make them

Hm. There are aerodromes that publish the circuit, and make it mandatory, and make it hard on any pilot taking liberties with it. Often, these published and mandatory circuits are a compromise with the NIMBY’s, which is a good reason to respect them. This is one more reason for the PPR, so hated by certain [ self-censured ] pilots – at least it gives the a/d operator an opportunity to insist on proper circuit flying. Not that all care, not by a long way.

Like many others, in BE and elsewhere, my homefield has seen, and much grumbled at, pilots blundering in according to their own wisdom without ever consulting published procedures.

So please, Mr. Tumbleweed, do not tell pilots they can make circuits as small or as large as they like!

Last Edited by at 06 Aug 20:14
EBZH Kiewit, Belgium

Yes pattern size is country specific. At uncontrolled German airfields the traffic pattern is defined and used as a noise reduction procedure. These patterns are rather big. At controlled airfields in Germany they also expect you to do big traffic patterns. Then I went to the US and there they want real tight patterns and did not consider my usual downwind to be even anywhere close to the pattern…

Last Edited by Sebastian_G at 06 Aug 20:36
www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ
19 Posts
Sign in to add your message