Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Which hand-held radio?

I have a SP400. It works OK. The only issue is that it cannot transmit on 8.33kHz channels…. Only receive! That has been confirmed by Sporty’s.

Belgium

The SP400 is useless for Europe. We had a thread on this before (someone had discovered this limitation too) but I can’t find it… Some other radios have misleading descriptions too e.g. this one.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Ok thats a show stopper :(

always learning
LO__, Austria

From
https://www.sportys.com/media/pdf/sp400.pdf
Downloaded today:

General Information Introduction
This manual contains only operational information relative to Sporty’s SP-400 Hand-held NAV/COM.
Features Sporty’s SP-400 is a hand-held, aircraft communication and navigation transceiver with the following features:
• 2,280 COMM frequencies (118.000 MHz to 136.975 MHz) (unit will also receive 137.000 MHz to 142.975)
• …
• 8.33 MHz spacing

Manual Frequency Selection
The SP-400 will receive 200 NAV frequencies (108.000 MHz to 117.950 MHz) and 3,000 COMM frequencies (118.000 MHz to 142.975 MHz).
The SP-400 will transmit on 2,280 COMM frequencies (118.000 MHz to 136.975 MHz). T…

If that thing does not transmit on all 8.33 frequencies, Sporty’s ought to be in big trouble.

huv
EKRK, Denmark

What I received:

Dear XXX,

Thank you for your email.

The SP-400 can receive the 8.33Khz frequencies but does not transmit on them.

There is no way to remove that limitation.

Please let me know if I can be of further assistance.

Sincerely,
Janet Jones
Sportsman Market
Sporty’s Shops
2001Sporty’s Drive
Batavia, OH 45103
513-735-9100 ext. 309
[email protected]

Belgium

iCom has released its A25 models recently. They are featured in the January 2018 issue of Aviation Consumer. Just watch the youtube video

– it says the same as the article, almost word by word.
A25N has VOR/LOC receiver (no glideslope), A25C is COMM only.
It says 8.33 channel spacing, but I do not trust anyone on this after reading about the SP-400 issue
The review says quality, ergonomics and battery life look good and prefers this one over the Yaesu, but even with bluetooth the functionality does not impress.

Last Edited by huv at 13 Jan 11:11
huv
EKRK, Denmark

Some questions don’t go away – my ancient Icon A23 seems to have breathed its last, and anyway it doesn’t do 8.33. Anyone have any recommendations/anti-recommendations? I’d like to spend as little as possible, for something I’ll probably never use. There’s a Yaesu FTA-250L for €259, which seems to be the cheapest.

Any thoughts or experience?

Thanks…

LFMD, France

johnh wrote:

There’s a Yaesu FTA-250L for €259, which seems to be the cheapest.

Yes, this one seems to be the cheapest, and Yaesu is a respectable brand. Those who want the VOR/ILS functionality like in Sporty’s radio can buy a Yaesu FTA-750L, which also has basic GPS functions.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 14 Feb 20:05
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

I replaced my still-working 1991 Icom with an 8.33 Icom in 2018. I’m not as happy with it as I was with my old one. I’ve used both as only radio. Not as easy to use while flying the plane, and poorer range. Regretting not trying other makes.

Maoraigh
EGPE, United Kingdom

Ultranomad wrote:

Those who want the VOR/ILS functionality like in Sporty’s radio can buy a Yaesu FTA-750L, which also has basic GPS functions.

I got one of those at an AOPA seminar where it was sold with a discount (all airport frequences of Switzerland came freely programmed into it) and I can say it is a great device. I can honestly recommend it. It does all that the Sporty’s does but has got 8.33 fully and a basic GPS.

LSZH(work) LSZF (GA base), Switzerland
Sign in to add your message