Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Icing (merged threads)

RobertL18C wrote:

The PPL/IR European Instrument Flying book has an icing chapter, which modestly was penned by myself. Robert Buck’s Weather Flying has good advice.

I give all my friends that pass their PPL R Bucks book. Just the best.

KHTO, LHTL

Buck´s book is nice but a bit US focused – so an European reader needs to be a bit selective.

LKKU, LKTB

@Vref why do you descent into CU/TCU clouds? I woulnd´t do this (only approach) for cruise, you fly the same clouds only blind! Why no higher climb and avoid hdg´s?

EDAZ

Michal wrote:

Michal 25-Jun-15 07:02 #29
Buck´s book is nice but a bit US focused – so an European reader needs to be a bit selective.

True but the principles are the same. A lot of times the forecast is off and I can clearly see a trough where there should not be and I know the forecast is off (not reliable) for the day or even the next day. Same with the winds etc. Too bad our planes dont upload that data into the national weather database to be used in a timely manner is all important. Anyway understanding basic weather as one experiences as a pilot is what the book is good for..

KHTO, LHTL

Too bad our planes dont upload that data into the national weather database

Imagine every Airliner would have a camera/sensor that uploaded cloud tops, temperature etc. to a world wide database … With hundreds is Airliners in the air over Germany in every given second (or about 5000 in the US!) we’d have very good data about cloud tops and icing …

All Lufthansa airplanes upload data to the German Met Office (DWD). This is used for the weather reports.

Yes, I know, but do they upload data about cloud tops for example?

No cloud tops but it wouldn’t be of much use anyway because they climb very fast and then fly on top. You would only get a profile in a few terminal areas.

Its a good question why tops are not given any respect. Most of the information we need would be on TO and Landing Phase. Layers also would be a good idea to report. Although its less useful information than tops. Difficult to see on an old Sat photo the difference between 8000’ and 14000’ regarding tops and the a photo that might be a few hrs old.

KHTO, LHTL

Yes, that’s right … i didn’t think of that.

Sign in to add your message