Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

First LPV approaches in Germany active

Two interesting issues:

1. The Jepp plate does not show the obstacle on short final.

2. The LPV and ILS both have the same 3 degree glideslope/glidepath from LIDMO.

So the difference can only be either a different obstacle clearance criteria used for LPV vs ILS or a conservative minima being used because LPV is new in Europe.

EGTK Oxford

It could also be the German CAA doesn't want anybody crashing into them

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

The Jepp plate does not show the obstacle on short final.

Strange, because it should be based on the "official" plate from the AIP.

EDDS - Stuttgart

Ha yes. What better way to show confidence in the shiny new satellites - stick the DH at 50ft.

EGTK Oxford

I've finally managed to get hold of the Jepp plate and the 300ft obstacle is indeed not shown there.

Jepp very rarely make mistakes (on approach plates) so one would assume that it is not shown because it is not relevant according to some drafting rule.

Administrator

How does one tune the EGNOS channel indicated on the Jepp chart? In which way is that information useful to a pilot?

In the WAAS GPS, example the GNS530W, there is an option to select an approach by entering the channel. It is accessed by selecting Proc then Load Approach, then Menu, then Select Approach Chnl? and enter the channel number in the following dialog. The approach channel is somewhat uniquely assigned for each WAAS (EGNOS) procedure, so it avoids entering the airport identifier and selecting the specific approach from the menu of choices and with the knob turning required to enter an identifier, it is quicker to enter a number. It is an option required by RTCA DO-229C. Most pilots in the USA don't know what it is used for and have never used the capability. The only time I have used it is when I am with a student and practicing approaches at several nearby airports as in that case it is easy to read the channel number from the chart and enter it into the GPS to move on to the next airport using the approach. IMHO, it is of little value in most cases.

KUZA, United States

Thanks NCYankee, I learned something new about the center piece of my avionics stack! I will give this a try. While at it, what's the meaning of E26A next to the EGNOS channel number?

In the USA, the runway code would start with a W for WAAS, so yours start with an E for EGNOS. The number is the runway. The suffix code A, B.. differentiates multiple runways aligned on the same direction instead of L, R, C.

From the USA Airman Information Manual:

WAAS Channel Number/Approach ID. The WAAS Channel Number is an optional equipment capability that allows the use of a 5?digit number to select a specific final approach segment without using the menu method. The Approach ID is an airport unique 4?character combination for verifying the selection and extraction of the correct final approach segment information from the aircraft database. It is similar to the ILS ident, but displayed visually rather than aurally. The Approach ID consists of the letter W for WAAS, the runway number, and a letter other than L, C or R, which could be confused with Left, Center and Right, e.g., W35A. Approach IDs are assigned in the order that WAAS approaches are built to that runway number at that airport.

KUZA, United States

Back to this old one… any opinions on if/when LPV is likely to be relevant in Europe, and where?

I am thinking in terms of airports with Customs (i.e. relevant to flying UK-Europe) which don’t already have an ILS. There aren’t many that I have come across.

Administrator
Sign in to add your message