Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How much lead time for an IFR flight plan?

One example: Croatia has sent us dozens of complaints about IFR flight plans from/to Brac outside of ATS hours which have to be Z/Y. So easy to create an IFPS restriction that makes the airport IFR at certain times only. It’s their choice though — keep complaining (which we ignore) or get it done.

Two months ago a guy from ATC (known to be smart ass) started lecturing me during descent to LDVA that I was supposed to file Y rather than I plan because LDVA was VFR only airport. I gave him same reply: whatever passes Eurocontrol validation is ok for me, if you have objection, send proper amendment to Eurocontrol database.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

according SERA – 60 minutes before EOBT, also most countries has the same time. of course if you file IFR FPL via RocketRoute it goes diretly to IFPS and IFPS is responsible for FPL distribution. Different is with VFR FPL. According another document, data of the FPL has to be on the first unit serving the flight at least 20 or 30 minutes before entry. Also AROs need time to check the FPL, correct it, find the addresses of ALL ATS units along the route and send it. It means that it is not AROs melt that we need 60 minutes. If there is a problem with the FPL and you file it 5 minutes before EOBT, there is no time to contact you and inform you about any problem.

LZIB

Emir wrote:

Two months ago a guy from ATC (known to be smart ass) started lecturing me during descent to LDVA that I was supposed to file Y rather than I plan because LDVA was VFR only airport. I gave him same reply: whatever passes Eurocontrol validation is ok for me, if you have objection, send proper amendment to Eurocontrol database.

sad :-( I am expecting that pilot will not file a IFR FPL to VFR airport. of course, Croatian ANSP should immediately correct their database in IFPS accordinf their AIP.

LZIB

Peter wrote:

I have been told a year or two ago by a German pilot who used to post here that the German AIS will correct an invalid IFR FP for you. If they still do that, that’s a fantastically good job protection scheme, and probably a number of people will use it.

The Swedish AIS has even corrected VFR flight plans for me =) Some times you get a call from them and they ask you what is your intention (in case of error) and they fix it on the fly!

Last Edited by Dimme at 23 Aug 15:05
ESME, ESMS

achimha wrote:

VFR flight plans are often processed manually. There is an ARO or similar that gets the plan, figures out who has an interest in it and then forwards it. That can require more than a few minutes.

If you do it through EuroFPL they will forward it to everyone directly, there is no manual work involved there. That means of course if you have done an error you will get surprised later =)

ESME, ESMS

The Swedish AIS has even corrected VFR flight plans for me

As with the other cases I think this is job protection / job creation – because when you are VFR you can fly anywhere you want, OCAS, so the flight plan can quickly become irrelevant.

It’s the same thing as the UK police demanding the GAR form 12hrs ahead when flying to or from the hotbeds of terrorism called Jersey, Guernsey, Alderney, Ireland, Isle of Man… Admittedly the first one did some dodgy stuff with children in the 1950s (allegedly, though that stuff seems to be de rigueur in politics, broadcasting, some religions ) and the last has some strange people with 3 legs

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

If you do it through EuroFPL they will forward it to everyone directly, there is no manual work involved there.

Although I don’t use EuroFPL, I am quite sure that is not true. It would be against the flight plan addressing rules of most European countries.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

The Swedish AIS has even corrected VFR flight plans for me =) Some times you get a call from them and they ask you what is your intention (in case of error) and they fix it on the fly!

I believe they would do that in France too if you submit using Olivia. I have had discussions with a French private pilot who does not believe in tools. He will use Olivia to file an IFR flight plan from A to B with a DCT route and let AIS figure it out. Hisbrationale was that the shortest route was a straight line.

When I used EuroFPL and had a problem with a “lost” IFR flight plan, I called French AIS for help. I got a lecture about how I should use “official” tools, and if I did not the AIS would disappear and I would no longer have anyone to call for help.

What did I learn from that experience? Do not call AIS. Get a tool with support and hope that you’ll never need the support.

I once filed a flightplan from Skopje to Mostar. Before departing I went by AIS to make sure everything was OK. The officer told me there were a couple of addresses missing. I asked if she had forwarded to those addresses, which she had not, and when I asked her if she could, she replied that she would now that I had asked. Go figure.

People are strange. Tools give independence. Tools are good.

I think I once had filed a FPL for the next day instead of same day. So obviously tower could not find it. While they were trying to find it, I went back to the autorouter, figured out what the problem was and re-filed. All of the sudden tower magically found my flightplan and I was off within 10 minutes.

Last Edited by Aviathor at 23 Aug 16:52
LFPT, LFPN

Aviathor wrote:

People are strange. Tools give independence. Tools are good.

I fully agree and I remember how happy I (ca 14 years old) was when the ticket counter at the local train station was closed and a ticket vending machine was installed. 15 years later I was equally happy when I could do it all on my phone and didn’t have to go to the vending machine anymore which was more efficient than the previous personnel and 24/7 but it could have a queue in front of it.

Today I had five minutes between filing and takeoff for an IFR plan.

“Langen Radar, G-EXXX, Guten Tag”
“G-EXXX, Langen, Guten Tag, Squawk 1234 ident, ready to copy clearance?”

Maybe not by the book with regards to lead time but I’ve done that many times and the Eurocontrol system is very efficient. Never had an issue.

Aviathor wrote:

I called French AIS for help. I got a lecture about how I should use “official” tools, and if I did not the AIS would disappear and I would no longer have anyone to call for help.

When I landed in Toussus le Noble a few years ago, I was urged by the met office guy that I should get a met briefing from him and sign a petition to not close the met office. I told him I get my briefing from my mobile phone and don’t think met briefing offices at airports are required. I guess it’s closed now…

I guess it’s closed now…

It is.

LFPT, LFPN
Sign in to add your message