Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Flying into French Language Only (FR-only) airfields (and French ATC ELP)

Yes, this makes sense – I should have said „au parking“! Still many things to improve
And yes, there is no real value in telling everybody we leave the frequency, but I did it as I felt it is custom in France and everybody does it, also at uncontrolled airfields.
Thanks for your feedback!

EDFM, Germany

When others are sharing a busy circuit, it is not only not helpful, but also detrimental to safety. Immagine you are in the circuit, looking for a couple other aircraft, and paying attention to their radio calls. Then somebody starts a call „Aubenas, N228RM….“, which really gets your attention… but then he continues “… at the parking, leaving the frequency“, i.e. you realize the position call was useless (a „custom“). So it not only blocks the frequency, it also increases stress on the other pilots trying to gain a good picture.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Aug 20:04
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

Seba wrote:

That would be true for Germany and other countries, not necessarily for France. Things are usually not so black and white here, and no one would try to track down who you are and prosecute you just because you did not advise before leaving frequency. That does not change the fact that they are expecting you to do it.

What’s the rationale? The apron is not under ATC control anyway.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Aircraft based in Cannes for the past 7 years and I have never advised ATC of “Leaving the Frequency.” They’re busy enough without having an added call to respond to. Never been an issue.

LFMD - Cannes Mandelieu, EGLL - London Heathrow, France

Shanwick wrote:

Aircraft based in Cannes for the past 7 years and I have never advised ATC of “Leaving the Frequency.” They’re busy enough without having an added call to respond to. Never been an issue.

Interesting. The Cannes-Mandelieu aéroclub instructors were those that taught me to tell ATC I’m leaving the frequency before turning off.

ELLX

I think this rules is coming from fact in France no FP is need. So each time we speak with ATC we need to ask for leaving the frequency because he open and close a kind of simplified FP.
It is why we (in France) are always requesting to leave the frequency (the only case we just inform we leave it is with an AFIS agent who is not a controller)
On ground it is not often an issue because plane is in sight. I was teached like Lionel and by an instructor who was controller.

PPG
LFNV

@bosmantico your blocking the frequency thing is absolute bs. Please don’t try to make excuses for being impolite.
@Shanwick just because you don’t announce you are parked and are leaving the frequency doesn’t make it right

France

Funny how something trivial is viewed as “determinetal to safety” or “mandatory/impolite” when only 1 person is talking on frequency, I always call “LaBaule, NKL je quitte la frequence”, it has nothing to do with controlling the apron, safety, flight plan, just that I enjoyed the day and I am off surely no one falls from the sky when I do that and I am not expecting to fall from the circuit if someone does nor I think it is mandatory or impolite to give someone else a bollocking for not doing it, I have full autonomy and capacity to fly & taxi without requiring anyone to talk in any case the priority is to aviate first (1/ go there & 2/ fly the aircraft)

Last Edited by Ibra at 13 Aug 07:20
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

gallois wrote:

bosmantico your blocking the frequency thing is absolute bs. Please don’t try to make excuses for being impolite.
Shanwick just because you don’t announce you are parked and are leaving the frequency doesn’t make it right

I have to repeat my question. What’s the rationale? I’ve never heard of it being done in any other country.

PPG wrote:

I think this rules is coming from fact in France no FP is need. So each time we speak with ATC we need to ask for leaving the frequency because he open and close a kind of simplified FP.

That’s indeed the case, not only in France, but everywhere. But the apron is not under ATC control so as soon as the tower controller observes the aircraft leaving the maneuvering area, the “FP” can be closed. If the controller for some reason (terrain, fog…) can’t observe that directly, (s)he should explicitly ask the pilot to report leaving the maneuvering area.

Sign in to add your message