Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Earth Winds

Had this sent to me by an ex BA Skipper.
Use mouse to drag and roll earth and ‘wheel’ to zoom.
Seems a handy little ‘first glance’ tool to me.

http://earth.nullschool.net

Still can’t work out this ‘here’ thing – even having looked at the ‘site tips’.

Last Edited by WarleyAir at 15 Feb 15:39
Regret no current medical
Was Sandtoft EGCF, North England, United Kingdom

That is a great visualisation tool. Not super practical for day-to-day use but nice graphics.

EGTK Oxford

Another great visualisation tool that’s not super practical for the actual flight preparation but useful at early planning stages (e.g. choosing the destinations) is Great Circle Mapper. The two combined would be still nicer!

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 15 Feb 23:13
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Thanks for sharing, this looks great. I will be curious to see how accurate it is in this part of the world, as most of the upper winds forecast I currently access seem to be a work of fiction round here…

E

eal
Lovin' it
VTCY VTCC VTBD

Nice one! For the iPhone there is a beautiful App called Living Earth, shows the – spinning – globe composed of near-real time satellite imagery.

As a long standing Foreflight user I was surprised to discover recently that if you select Terrain, Flight Rules and Satellite that you can zoom out until the entire globe becomes visible with cloud cover and met. For instance I can tell you that in Cileka Mozambique 48m ago it was 29012Kt 9999 Sct 035 which is a lot nicer than here.

Green = VFR, Blue=MVFR, Red=IFR, Pink=don’t even think about it.

If you are ever likely to fly in the US Foreflight is must. Just sooo very much more intuitive and responsive than that well known UK product.

EGBW / KPRC, United Kingdom
6 Posts
Sign in to add your message