Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How does one reach an IAF to which there is no charted IFR route?

How many CFITs were there in the UK in 2023?
I posted a percentage.of accidents to F reg aircraft in 2023 due to CFIT. But I would not be surprised if France has more CFITs than the UK. One reason would be that we have higher mountains.

France

Exactly the point in my the last post.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

But you made a comparison with the UK as France being much worse but you haven’t given any information on the number of CFIT in the UK in order for us to analyse the statistic.
IMO there is no substitute in IFR for thorough planning and situational awareness. I don’t get your point at all. I make a point of always being aware of the safe altitudes in the area and along the routes I am going to fly,. I make a point of it in my TEM planning along with cloud based, zero temperature altitude and turbulence.
I don’t understand why anyone flying IFR would not do this.
When I approach the destination airport I brief the IAF and the procedure. This includes TOD, TAA or MSA altitudes.
Both MORA and MSA usually include the safe margin so as long as you remain above that you are safe, at least from terrain and obstacles.

France

I fail to see how one would get CFIT while IMC OCAS if they comply with MSA circles?

On what to do, how to get there, what if…there are thousands of answers and no give a thing, it’s an OCAS procedure from OH after all

I don’t think this is an issue for UK IMCR holders or PPL holders? the former know how to keep 2000ft from obstacles and the latter flies VMC

I think it’s more a challenge for ICAO IR holders (FAA IR?) who are not familiar with IFR OCAS?

Last Edited by Ibra at 30 May 11:46
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra you are so right. Nobody will hit a mountain if they fly above the MSA. Why didn’t I think of that?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Like gallois and Ibra, I don’t quite see what the difficulty is. Clearly, if you become uncertain of your position in IMC you would have a big problem, but how is knowing a safe altitude in a known area a problem? (Not necessarily the lowest possible safe altitude – but that is very seldom needed.)

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

Ibra wrote:

That was my understanding, the TAA itself is a published feeder route. What about KBVY RNAV34? no TAA, no STAR, no AWY to connect with IAF

Is MSA usable in case of loss of radio or loss of radar?

This is likely because it is almost on top of KBOS. There are plenty of airways nearby and the BOS VOR-DME, so it would be easy to add a feeder route. My guess is that Boston TRACON didn’t want one and would use radar vectors to final or direct-to the IAF after radar vectors. The note on the Chart RADAR REQUIRED says it all. My guess is that it is unlikely to get a clearance for this approach in the first place because it interferes with traffic using the ILS into KBOS. We have a similar situation at my airport, KUZA. It sits about 13 NM SE of KCLT and the RNAV (GPS) RWY 20 procedure with LPV is almost never allowed because of interference with Charlotte airline traffic operations. It is a RADAR REQUIRED procedure and doesn’t even have an IAF, just an IF and you get VTF or vectored followed by a direct-to the IF. I got a clearance for this approach, maybe twice in the last 20+ years.

MSA is only used in the event of an emergency. Loss of radar would not be considered an emergency and there are other approaches at KBVY that don’t require radar. Loss of communications would depend on the specific circumstances and in of itself would not be an emergency. Pilots would be expected to follow 91.185 IFR operations: Two-way radio communications failure procedures.

KUZA, United States
57 Posts
Sign in to add your message