Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is it possible to do IFR Flight Planning (e.g. Autorouter or ForeFlight) with Fly-Over waypoints?

It does not seem to indicate, or have a slider to select which tolerance for the flyover point is allowed. If it is technically zero, then the routing engine might not find a valid route. 10-15 miles is usually enough.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It does not seem to indicate, or have a slider to select which tolerance for the flyover point is allowed

If you refer to ForeFlight it does not have a tolerance it will try to include the point AFAIK

Last Edited by roznet at 04 Apr 07:15
EGTF, United Kingdom

I use `add waypoint` all the time otherwise I receive silly proposals. Specifically I add a waypoint close to my DEP AD on a Z flight plan to pick up IFR. If you don’t often your VFR till the FIR boundary….The same for the arrival add an RNAV waypoint close to your arrival to remain IFR as long as possible. It takes sometimes several iterations to find a descent routing. If the airspace is not Free Route it helps to check the directions with Skyvector but even that does not include possible restrictions that are valid that day of OPS.

Last Edited by Vref at 04 Apr 08:58
EBST

The option on ForeFlight is MUCH less useful for complex routes. I don’t get routes validating. Only if I look for possible routes first in Autorouter.

Last Edited by UdoR at 04 Apr 09:37
Germany
14 Posts
Sign in to add your message