Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Practicing circuits on top of a cloud

I used to do this, and from here I wonder if it is a better idea if you are really new to the type.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

I wonder if it is a better idea if you are really new to the type.

I have never before heard of anyone doing this. To me it sounds like a very bad idea for several reasons. If you are new to the type, you should practice stalls (all kinds, level power off, accelerated, in a turn, flaps no flaps), turns, slow flight etc and engine out procedure. All this should be done with the ground in sight. We call it “air work”. When all that is done, and you can comfortably handle the aircraft, you can practice 2-3 landings, and if possible, at least one with cut.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Peter wrote:

I used to do this, and from here I wonder if it is a better idea if you are really new to the type.

Are you not afraid of icing when doing that? You might touch the cloud if you “flare” to late.

Germany

I’ve never done this, but can see it is a low-stress environment to practise (no circuit traffic, no wind, no ground). I’m sure I’ve heard of it at least once in WWII RAF memoirs.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

(Edited)
More important is to do instructor time on type and apply proper procedures. If you stall this low, means something basic has screwed up (go-around below minimum GA speed, etc.).

Last Edited by maxbc at 28 Mar 10:35
France

Danger I see is, first you should maintain 1000ft distance to clouds above 3000ft AMSL and at any time in controlled airspace. Second, if you inadvertently spin it you’ll be spinning into a cloud. So yeah. Hasn’t even crossed my mind to practice this.

What one can do is use the altimeter and try to descent in a landing config and then flare at a certain safe altitude and then execute a go around to practice this. But always with the ground in sight.

ELLX, Luxembourg

first you should maintain 1000ft distance to clouds above 3000ft AMSL and at any time in controlled airspace

My plan was to do it overhead EGKK, under an IFR clearance, so that would be legal.

Administrator

I’ve done something similar in MEP training. Obviously not on top of a cloud, but using a defined ‘surface’, typically 4000 or 5000 ft AGL as ‘field elevation’. Gives you time and space for recovery, if things head south.

It is actually very easy. You pick a lone cloud, top say 3000ft, and you fly circuits at 4000ft. You do all the usual stuff, gear up, gear down, flaps, etc.

If you can’t do the usual stuff up there, you won’t find it easy doing it on the runway.

Administrator

I find this really odd in so many ways. First of all, why?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
13 Posts
Sign in to add your message