Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

UK CAA consultation on a licensing review 2024

There are several going and this link takes you to the list.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Some of these clearly move away from EASA requirements / rules. Wouldn’t that make it harder to convert or get both types of license?

Netherlands

~2 hours later I’ve completed it. A lot of UK things are new to me… or maybe I’m just slow. It has to be read in parallel with the explanatory document, and checked for negative/double questions. As a general rule I went for the least restrictive option.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

“Allow the Competency-Based Modular training course for the Instrument Rating to be undertaken at a Declared Training Organisation (DTO).” – wow, that really looks amazing.

But on the other hand, it’s sad that they don’t want to allow revalidation with instructor, now if too many people decide to get CB-IR examiners will be super busy.

EGKR, United Kingdom

The “executive summary” is here

They are proposing eliminating the old UK National PPL, which is sensible.

Major changes:

• Reducing the PPL minimum time from 45hrs to the ICAO minimum of 40hrs. Won’t affect many people since almost nobody does it in 45hrs; those that do have had loads of unlogged “unofficial training”.
  • Allow sub-ICAO licence holders to obtain an IMC rating. This makes perfect sense, despite the LAA IFR approval programme running incredibly slowly (or not at all – does anyone know?)
  • Allow the Competency-Based Modular training course for the Instrument Rating to be undertaken at a Declared Training Organisation (DTO). This is dynamite; it is what US pilots have had since for ever and everybody knew was one of the biggest hassles with the IR in Europe. The FTO money making machine won’t like it – one thread – and will make a huge fuss under the table, and they are powerful, with fingers deep inside the CAA. Perhaps the recent huge FTO bankrupcies (which discredited their industry) have caused the CAA to grow a pair of balls?
  • Require the IMC/IR(R) rating to be conducted at a DTO or Approved Training Organisation (ATO). Not sure what this is; you can do the IMCR at any PPL school, surely?

Make your views known here

Administrator

Peter wrote:

Require the IMC/IR(R) rating to be conducted at a DTO or Approved Training Organisation (ATO). Not sure what this is; you can do the IMCR at any PPL school, surely?

I think right now it is possible to do so outside the school.

EGTR

That would amaze me… I know the PPL was doable largely outside a school building in the 1980s and before. Maybe they have just discovered this loophole…

Administrator

I’m doing the IR(R) with a freelance instructor. He did say that recently the CAA are not so keen on the instructor and examiner being the same person, so I might have to do the test with someone else. Hopefully I have an aeroplane again before there is any ATO/DTO requirement.

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Peter wrote:

That would amaze me… I know the PPL was doable largely outside a school building in the 1980s and before. Maybe they have just discovered this loophole…

PPL training with an independent instructor was allowed right until we joined JAR.

Yes the IMC can still be done with an independent instructor. And I feel forcing it to be done under a DTO is a retrograde move. There is no such thing as a DTO under ICAO so the whole lot is gold plating from the start.

Plus most DTO will want you to use their aircraft so won’t put your aircraft on their approval. They also won’t have staff that can fly something like a Europa either.

Excellent points; getting training in own plane has always required delicate footwork, and contacts.

The guy in the book Propellerhead got his PPL “freelance”, in the 1980s…

CAA are not so keen on the instructor and examiner being the same person

I recall that from my PPL in 2000. Had to be different people, but the IMCR could be trained and examined by the same person.

Administrator
16 Posts
Sign in to add your message