Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

How to make ATC love you…

Quite some eventful flight for Matt Guthmiller here… IFR night winter IMC in the Rocky Mountains, plus some issues…and tons of requests to ATC…

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

nice!
where is the AOA indicator on the TBM? I was surprised the aircraft shouted “airspeed” on final with no audio clues with respect the angle of attack

Poland

The scariest thing is the passenger feeling unwell at even light bumps in the ride. This in my opinion multiplies the stress level, or would at least for me.

Berlin, Germany

This is a very good video which I can identify with: a more capable aircraft means you launch into more complex conditions, and it can be very difficult to create an accurate picture of what’s ahead, between different sources of information (although in Europe we’re “spared” any weather info coming from ATC). Having said that, he’s breaking one of the commandments many single pilots seem to adopt: “IMC, mountains, night, choose two but not three”

EGTF, LFTF
Last Edited by GA_Pete at 20 Mar 16:18
United Kingdom

Whilst I like watching his videos, I can’t help but question why he doesn’t use check lists… Yes, he’s obviously competent and most likely very proficient but no checklists???

EDL*, Germany

denopa wrote:

the commandments many single pilots seem to adopt: “IMC, mountains, night, choose two but not three”

I agree, but I tend to substitute any one of the three by any relevant added risk factor like type of POB, aircraft faults or inop equipment, over the sea away from land, sea state, etc…

Two of them is OK, three means we have to start thinking of an alternate plan for risk mitigation or elimination.

Having said that, flying such a capable single-engine aircraft I guess means you can increase the number to four?

In this case I agree w/ @Inkognito (really?) such a kind of pax is an additional risk factor: figure how many of this requests were related to his pax well-being looking for less turbulence that he might otherwise have gladly flown through on his own…

Last Edited by Antonio at 21 Mar 09:26
Antonio
LESB, Spain
7 Posts
Sign in to add your message