Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Is this too much ice for an A320?

The instructor at our club is an ex Wizz air and Ex. Ez captain. Funny enough his name is Daniel. I showed him what you wrote and he thought it was funny. Said yeh that’s about right for EZ flight crew.🙂

Last Edited by gallois at 07 Mar 09:11
France

The ice was picked up around FL200 to 250.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Does the aircraft give any warning that ice is building up? I mean is there a sensor warning the crew? Or do they have to be proactive and prevent it themselves?

Looking back to see the engine / wing is probably not something that they do very often.

EIWT Weston, Ireland

From https://www.smartcockpit.com/docs/A320-Ice_and_Rain_Protection.pdf (which look fairly old but I don’t think much as changed) , for wing and engine the crew need to manually activate the engine and wing anti-ice.
The only sensor seems to be a visual ice indicator between the 2 windshield.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Yeager wrote:

I said for dispatch. You obviously would not dispatch without de-icing those surfaces??

Surely not, and obviously the reason for my answer
OTOH also trying very hard to identify an aircraft which is allowed to dispatch with contamination on the wings/tail for take-off…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Xtophe wrote:

visual ice indicator between the 2 windshield

Which I pictured here…

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

OTOH also trying very hard to identify an aircraft which is allowed to dispatch with contamination on the wings/tail for take-off…

Unless, of course, you’re in Russia….

:

Come on guys. Nobody even remotely suggested this was at departure!

Administrator

I was a passenger on a flight some twenty plus years ago that was taxiing for takeoff at Geneva to fly to Manston. It was a replacement for an EU Jet flight and the plane was a Boeing 737. We were the only plane that I could see was not de-iced by ground crew. As we had contaminated wings I told the cabin crew that we wanted to get off if their intention was to depart with contaminated wings. It wasn’t just ice, it was snow as well.

Someone from the cockpit came out after the cabin crew called them, looked out of the window and returned to the cabin. Shortly after we taxied back to a stand (Geneva had to stop other aircraft taxiing for us to return) and we were then deiced. The flight then continued without any problems. I wonder what would have happened if we hadn’t been deiced by ground crew that night.

Last Edited by Will_c at 07 Mar 22:45

So it sounds like the crew forgot to turn it on They were young but the LHS was not that young – maybe 30?

Administrator
Sign in to add your message