Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What is a "racetrack to ILS"? LFAT ILS13 (and is OKPEM a hold or not?)

I assure you I am not fixating on anything.
The definition of a hold in the memo of users of Instrument procedures describes a hold as in the shape of a racetrack.
The memo of users of Instrument approaches goes on to describe:-

INITIAL, INTERMEDIATE AND FINAL APPROACH
The IAF is the start of the approach procedure (concept of approach clearance). The initial approach allows
place on the final approach path or in a direction close to it at a satisfactory altitude.
On an IAF we can find a hold and an initial approach racetrack circuit which precedes the approach
intermediate or final. The holding pattern and the initial approach pattern may be common or separate.
The initial approach begins when the pilot, vertically above the marker, leaves the hold if necessary and begins the circuit
in a racetrack. If the circuits are common, the last lap is an initial approach racecourse.
In some cases, a single circuit is used to represent, on the plan view of the IAC cards, the waiting and
the racecourse; in this case, the entrances to the racecourse are protected
And

c) The initial approach can take different forms:
- in approaches involving a reversal procedure (basic turn or conventional turn),
the initial approach is the away portion towards the breakthrough start point.
- in other types of procedures, the initial approach is carried out following a racetrack circuit; (on the
approach cards, we can find, depending on the case, a common waiting circuit / racecourse or circuits
separated).

Perhaps we understand things differently.

France

gallois wrote:

What I don’t get if I am understanding you correctly and from what Airborne_Again has written is that you fly an entry to a HILPT/racetrack/hippodrome but you don’t have to fly it. That just seems a bit weird to me. It’s a bit like as I get older I keep entering rooms and then wondering why did.🙂
Also if the entry part is enough, why don’t the regulators just say to make a base turn within the protected area of the hold?
Otherwise what you write is pretty much the same as it is here. If you don’t need a procedure turn then you don’t do one. Many use it in lieu of a hold to lose altitude because the altitude on the procedure is set. You could of course ask for the hold to descend but then you have to get your approach clearance after the hold and you might get, well, held; as others get cleared for the approach before you.

The HILPT is a mandatory part of the procedure. Its purpose is primarily to allow entry to the approach from any direction. It provides for obstacle protection based on the holding pattern chosen. In theory one could place a standard procedure turn, which is the norm for most conventional procedures. This takes quite a bit of airspace to accomplish. With a hold, much less airspace is needed and it is what is used for RNP APCH type procedures when a course reversal is an option. In the US, the usage of the HILPT is as a procedure turn to get oriented inbound. FAA has strict regulations in 91.175 regarding the usage of a procedure turn and there are long standing FAA General Counsel opinions that if a procedure turn is charted as a part of an IAP, it must be flown unless one of the 4 exceptions apply. Since the purpose of the HILPT is primarily to get oriented inbound, the entry followed by intercepting and tracking the inbound course to the holding fix is all that is needed to be flown and is what ATC expects, that is one flies over the hold fix twice, once on initial entry and the second time inbound in the hold to the fix. Any more than that requires ATC approval. See the bolded portion of the AIM guidance.

AIM guidance on procedure turn:

5−4−9. Procedure Turn and Hold−in−lieu of Procedure Turn

a. A procedure turn is the maneuver prescribed when it is necessary to reverse direction to establish the aircraft
inbound on an intermediate or final approach course. The procedure turn or hold−in−lieu−of−PT is a required
maneuver when it is depicted on the approach chart, unless cleared by ATC for a straight−in approach.
Additionally, the procedure turn or hold−in−lieu−of−PT is not permitted when the symbol “No PT” is depicted
on the initial segment being used, when a RADAR VECTOR to the final approach course is provided, or when
conducting a timed approach from a holding fix. The altitude prescribed for the procedure turn is a minimum
altitude until the aircraft is established on the inbound course. The maneuver must be completed within the
distance specified in the profile view. For a hold−in−lieu−of−PT, the holding pattern direction must be flown as
depicted and the specified leg length/timing must not be exceeded.

NOTE− The pilot may elect to use the procedure turn or hold−in−lieu−of−PT when it is not required by the procedure, but must first
receive an amended clearance from ATC. If the pilot is uncertain whether the ATC clearance intends for a procedure turn
to be conducted or to allow for a straight−in approach, the pilot must immediately request clarification from ATC (14 CFR
Section 91.123)

..snip..

5. A holding pattern in lieu of procedure turn may be specified for course reversal in some procedures. In
such cases, the holding pattern is established over an intermediate fix or a final approach fix. The holding pattern
distance or time specified in the profile view must be observed. For a hold−in−lieu−of−PT, the holding pattern
direction must be flown as depicted and the specified leg length/timing must not be exceeded. Maximum holding
airspeed limitations as set forth for all holding patterns apply. The holding pattern maneuver is completed when
the aircraft is established on the inbound course after executing the appropriate entry. If cleared for the approach
prior to returning to the holding fix, and the aircraft is at the prescribed altitude, additional circuits of the holding
pattern are not necessary nor expected by ATC. If pilots elect to make additional circuits to lose excessive altitude
or to become better established on course, it is their responsibility to so advise ATC upon receipt of their approach
clearance

AIM guidance for Arrival Holding:

8. Arrival Holding. Some approach charts have an arrival holding pattern depicted at an IAF or at a feeder
fix located along an airway. The arrival hold is depicted using a “thin line” since it is not always a mandatory
part of the instrument procedure.

(a) Arrival holding is charted where holding is frequently required prior to starting the approach
procedure so that detailed holding instructions are not required. The arrival holding pattern is not authorized
unless assigned by ATC. Holding at the same fix may also be depicted on the en route chart.

(b) Arrival holding is also charted where it is necessary to use a holding pattern to align the aircraft for
procedure entry from an airway due to turn angle limitations imposed by procedure design standards. When the
turn angle from an airway into the approach procedure exceeds the permissible limits, an arrival holding pattern
may be published along with a note on the procedure specifying the fix, the airway, and arrival direction where
use of the arrival hold is required for procedure entry. Unlike a hold−in−lieu of procedure turn, use of the arrival
holding pattern is not authorized until assigned by ATC. If ATC does not assign the arrival hold before reaching
the holding fix, the pilot should request the hold for procedure entry. Once established on the inbound holding
course and an approach clearance has been received, the published procedure can commence. Alternatively, if
using the holding pattern for procedure entry is not desired, the pilot may ask ATC for maneuvering airspace to
align the aircraft with the feeder course.
KUZA, United States

I don’t think there is an awful lot of difference between the HILPT and a racetrack turn. IIUC the main difference is at what point you receive the cleared for the approach. Here, if you get the clearance on the inbound leg of the hippodrome you can go direct into the next part of the approach providing you are established on the course at correct altitude. Here you might well get the cleared for approach before you start the entry part. In the case we are talking about Peter was cleared at a different IAF via a other IAF. IMO it was this possible ambiguity that had the ATCO confirming he should fly the racetrack.

France

Emir wrote:

When arriving to IBA fly heading 212° for 1 min, turn to heading 242°, fly until reaching D11 IBA and then turn right to intercept localizer IBI.

Now you gave it away. I would have liked to see gallois’ take on this. (But the 1 min, should be 1:30, shouldn’t it?) And correcting for wind, of course.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 Mar 16:18
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

gallois wrote:

Here, if you get the clearance on the inbound leg of the hippodrome you can go direct into the next part of the approach providing you are established on the course at correct altitude. Here you might well get the cleared for approach before you start the entry part.

No, you must have an approach clearance before flying the racetrack, as the racetrack is part of the initial approach segment. It is possible that ATC instructs you to enter the racetrack without giving an approach clearance first – that has happened to me a few times – but that is on explicit instruction and in that case you have to remain in the racetrack. That, however, is not relevant for the LFAT case as there was no racetrack at OKPEM.

In the case we are talking about Peter was cleared at a different IAF via a other IAF. IMO it was this possible ambiguity that had the ATCO confirming he should fly the racetrack.

He was? That’s not what he wrote.

Last Edited by Airborne_Again at 07 Mar 16:25
ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

That’s as I understood what he wrote.
Cleared for the approach at TUKVI and at some stage “fly the racetrack”. What have I misunderstood?
I haven’t looked at IBIZA yet and the question was about France not Spain even if they should be the same.

France

Looked at IBIZA now. You fly the hold before flying the racetrack. The last turn of the circuit of the hold leads you to the direct entry of the racetrack. You fly the racetrack unless the text or ATC clears you without the procedural turn.
See the text I quoted from “memo for users of instrument procedures”.
I don’t see how this has relevance to the LFAT situation.

France

I am now going to do something unusual for me and admit I could be wrong.🙂
So I apologise.
I have revisited the" Memento a la usage des utilisateurs des procedures de vol aux instruments" produced by the DGAC in French . It is a summation which is a combination of CAT companies and Air traffic controller associations across Europe.
This comes up further down to my previous quoted section.

4.4.1 Procédure classique avec FAF
Approche initiale
L’approche initiale est l’ensemble des trajectoires suivies depuis le passage de l’IAF jusqu’à l’alignement en
intermédiaire. Selon les types de procédures, elle se termine à l’IF, ou à la fin du virage d’inversion ou d’hippodrome.
La procédure peut comporter un circuit en hippodrome (servant également à l’attente) et une inversion (par exemple
un virage de base).
Selon la direction d’arrivée, on peut entrer directement dans la procédure d’inversion ou entrer d’abord dans
l’hippodrome, puis dans l’inversion (même si sa direction d’arrivée est favorable, le pilote peut utiliser le circuit en
hippodrome, par exemple pour perdre de l’altitude, s’il estime être trop haut
TRANSLATION

4.4.1 Classic procedure with FAF
Initial approach
The initial approach is the set of trajectories followed from the passage of the IAF to the alignment in
intermediate. Depending on the types of procedures, it ends at the IF, or at the end of the inversion or racetrack turn.
The procedure may include a racetrack circuit (also used for holdimg) and an inversion (e.g.
a base?(basic) turn).
Depending on the direction of arrival, one can enter directly into the reversal procedure or enter first into
the racecourse, then in the inversion (even if its direction of arrival is favorable, the pilot can use the circuit in
racecourse, for example to lose altitude, if he considers himself too high.

So again my apologies as this would suggest you can use the hippodrome as a base turn.

France

I think the whole thing was a cockup, possibly by a trainee ATCO who somehow got an ELP4

I got cleared for the ILS while heading towards TUKVI. That means I could have descended to the IAP platform! I would not do a DIY descent even though entitled; normally I say “ready for descent” and it may have been that which triggered the OKPEM thing. Then I got “proceed to OKPEM”, while still at 5000ft.

The bottom line was that the ATCO obviously could not speak English so nothing could be discussed.

Of course I make mistakes but that is what language is for. This sort of thing would not happen in the UK, or Croatia for that matter. But France and Spain are full of ATCOs who quite evidently do not understand English (even though some of the Spanish ones do actually speak it amazingly well).

Next time I will get a recording, but at LFAT you rarely get anything nontrivial. Well, it does happen and I posted about the last one too – link in post 1.

There is no racetrack charted, and I was not asked to hold.

PROB100 a bunch of French ATCOs at Lille are reading this (with the benefit of their recording), plus many other ATCOs on EuroGA, and none of them will post anything… I am certain of this because I know quite a few people read EuroGA with the specific purpose of alerting anyone referenced, and sometimes I get legal action threats over something somebody posted.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Finally a breath of fresh air… thanks for that @Peter

Bracing for the new wave, where is my stash of painkillers… anyone seen ’em?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message