Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Loss of an aerodrome in Aveyron: Cassagnes – Bégonhès LFIG

It looks likely that we are to lose the airfield of Cassagnes – Bégonhès LFIG.
It is sad but a problem of economics and modern life.
The airfield is owned by the local town and has 2 runways and an aeroclub. The cost of keeping the runways in good state for 255 landings a year is weighing heavy on the town budget. Most users are also ULMistes and don’t need 900 metre runways.
At the same time as a site for photovoltaic panels is can contribute to the town’s finances. If the town or energy company can find a 500metre grass field, suitable for ULMs the aeroclub would have little argument against the project and although not happy it looks like they will not be able to stop the airfield’s closure in the next 2 or 3 years.
IMO this might be the future for many small French airfields. ☹

Last Edited by gallois at 16 Feb 16:01
France

What? They have a hard runway!! Is it in need of repair? Who is the “gestionaire”?

IIUC it is the Commune. They have received an estimate for repair/renovation of the runways of €200,000 so one can understand where the council is coming from.

France

gallois wrote:

The cost of keeping the runways in good state for 255 landings a year i

A club based on the field and only 255 landings a year!? How many members does it have? 10?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

I was also very surprised by the very low number of movements when I read about it elsewhere.

ESMK, Sweden

TBH I don’t know how many members the club has (particularly flying members).
I was also surprised by the low number of landings when I read it. But I have heard that the number of non ULM flying members has been dwindling over the past few years and that there are few if any new entrants.
I don’t know how and who counted/calculated the number of landings quoted.

France

Exactly when is it closing?

The irony is I’ve just realised its exactly (and directly) half way between Cuers and my aerodrome on the Atlantic coast and would be a good option for a stop on a trip in June… But there is always Rodez, I guess.

Regards, SD..

I don’t think they have a date for closure yet.
But the thinking is 2025 or 2026 if they can do the right sort of deal with an energy company, if they can find an alternative 500m grass strip, and if they can placate the aeroclub and friends of the aeroclub.

I think they also need agreement from the DGAC, but not sure on that point.

Last Edited by gallois at 18 Feb 07:32
France
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message