Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

To land, or to go around?

gallois wrote:

Many of us did hundreds of touch an goes during training so a go round after wheels touching should not be a problem.

When you do a normal T&G, your aircraft is controllable and all the wheels are on the ground. You then accelerate and wait for rotation speed (which is safe in terms of power curve).

It’s another story if you’re floating at 1.1Vs (much lower than Vr), or bouncing (speed decreasing in the ascent and drag still depleting your overall energy), or if you can’t wait to rotate because an animal or aircraft is on the runway.

France

This is a strange debate indeed @gallois. You can’t get a license without having demonstrated a correctly executed go around, it’s a mandatory skill. And it doesn’t matter at what height, you need to know how to perform it.

Whether it’s wise or not to wait that long is part of good airmenship but should something happen where it’s a needed maneuver for the safety of the flight as a PIC you are required to know when and how to do it and do it safely.

And as with everything it’s a perishable skill, so it needs practice to be done right, regardless of circumstances. Otherwise things go wrong as we’ve likely possibly seen in Spa.

Last Edited by hazek at 31 Jan 10:24
ELLX, Luxembourg

I simply don’t understand this fuss about go around… How can anybody, who is licensed pilot, think that some special skills are needed for this manoeuvre? Guys, let’s be serious… the person behind the commands, who can’t perform go around, is not a pilot.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

I once lost sight of an aircraft below me whilst going round. It was quite alarming as they were climbing much faster than me, and moving at about the same speed. I think an offset is sensible. My recollection was that I went off to the right as if to overtake, but it wasn’t quite clear what avoiding action was correct.

Quite a lot of people who rent out aircraft with powerful drag flaps don’t like you using them. If a go-around from such a configuration is so marginal, perhaps better not to use that configuration than to avoid go-arounds. Cessna reduced the max flaps from 40 degrees in the 150 to 30 degrees in the 152, probably in recognition that people were getting themselves into sketchy situations.

I fly from a relatively narrow runway with a fence that eats several aircraft a year. It’s true that I can’t recall anybody being badly hurt, but it seems a shame. The runway itself is long enough that few common SEPs would actually need drag flaps to land on it.

Last Edited by kwlf at 31 Jan 11:20

To land, or not to land, that is the question:
Whether ’tis nobler in the mind to suffer
The slings and arrows of an outrageous go around,
Or to take arms against a sea of troubles
And by opposing end thy flight.

Germany

Emir wrote:

the person behind the commands, who can’t perform go around, is not a pilot

Well I’d never say never. I’m a pilot because….you need two balls.

From this thread

Last Edited by UdoR at 31 Jan 11:39
Germany

UdoR wrote:

Well I’d never say never.

I agree but I still need somebody to enlighten me what secret skills are hidden behind the art of go around. Especially the ones that are not part of take off and touch and go.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Thomas_R wrote:

To land, or not to land, that is the question:

Round round, go around
I go around
Yeah
(Go around round round, I go around)
I go around

I’m gettin’ bugged flying up and down the same old strip
I gotta find a new place where the kids are hip

EGHO-LFQF-KCLW, United Kingdom

Talking about go-arounds (or not)

https://youtu.be/ZfyjevVbnRY?si=39jPiT7nUu2VzfCb

EGSU, United Kingdom

Emir wrote:

How can anybody, who is licensed pilot, think that some special skills are needed for this manoeuvre?

He he. Agree. It seems to me the special skill needed is to actually execute the maneuver when needed, instead of doing all sorts of other crazy things Like coming in way too hot typically, or too high, or even too short and too slow at times. At a 3 km runway you can get away with anything. There’s so much runway that even if the first 3 tries goes wrong, there is still enough runway for 2 more tries. This doesn’t work at a 300m one way strip.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway
Sign in to add your message