Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? Jan 4-6 2024

I did my first GA flight since september and got checked out on the c172 in the new club.
The low sun, wet surroundings and unfamiliarity with the terrain didn’t help my landings but the plane is still in one piece.

EBZW, Belgium

Peter wrote:

what are they going to do about the way you planned your flight?

You are required by part-NCO to do some flight preparation tasks, e.g. W&B and fuel calculations. It doesn’t say how it should be done but you have to provide evidence that you have done it. AFAIU the extensive briefing pack generated by Autorouter is intended to include everything you could be asked to provide in case of a ramp check.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

They claim they were there for the day and were picking planes at random, but I am not so sure

But I’m sure

As for myself, time for a “training flight” for my simple VFR PPL revalidation today. Im lucky enough to belong to a close knit of RV renegades, and therefore was able to book my favorite FI with an airplane I had set my sights on some time ago… a Van’s RV-10. The Cirrus competition is a delight in all senses of the term, performance and handling. Very stable, powerful, easy and responsive to fly in the blustery conditions of the day.

Us, FI on the left of the pic (of the day )

Last Edited by Dan at 04 Jan 22:04
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Can’t stop biting my nails. Did you pass?

Let me guess “retraining required due to tendency to constantly enter into extremely unusual attitudes like loops and rolls”

Last Edited by aart at 05 Jan 11:11
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

I had ground damage, so I’m now waiting for the other plane’s insurance to contact me

Oh no, that’s horrible.
I hope nothing too worrying. Is it enough to ground the aircraft?
I have seen once an aircraft taxi past mine, so close and at speed, I was surprised it missed the prop. Circa inches.

Hope you get sorted promptly.

United Kingdom

Com’on Aart, you know that, luckily enough for me, the requirement is only for what’s labeled a training flight. So yes, my training had a positive outcome, and the pristine RV-10 is reusable.
OTOH you’re not far from the truth here, as the FI was happy to be sitting in a non-aerobatic ship, unlike 2 years ago when he wasn’t smiling no more

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

OTOH you’re not far from the truth here, as the FI was happy to be sitting in a non-aerobatic ship, unlike 2 years ago when he wasn’t smiling no more

That explains it then, I was trying to figure out why the picture was not with the plan upside down, even considering some advance post processing to adjust it :-)

ENVA, Norway

Thanks @Buckerfan for sharing this.

I recently heard that they are keen on checking as well that the latest DABS has been checked prior to departure.

One thing I learned is that they accept that if you do a lot of planning electronically that you wont have a written record of it.

This is very good to know. Before each flight I mail to myself a briefing pack with W&B, performance calculations, FPL (if necessary), routing, weather, DABS and NOTAM but perhaps it is already overdoing things…

BOD
LSGY, LFSP, LFHM, Switzerland

As a mini-tip, I generally upload the day’s DABS into SkyDemon, User Documents…
And another request I made a few years ago to SD is to have a dedicated icon, or direct access to the User Documents file, since many use it to store important flight documents. As usual, SD knows better and doesn’t care…

Dan
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

As a mini-tip, I generally upload the day’s DABS into SkyDemon, User Documents…

It says in the link below

“The following still applies: The DABS does not replace the NOTAMs”

https://www.skybriefing.com/landerspezifische-produkte

Wouldn’t all the info in the DABS be included in the NOTAM? I’ve looked at both many times and have not seen a gap between them, but perhaps it can happen…

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message