Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Prist source

Where can one find Prist in Europe? Aircraft spruce refuses/can’t import it they say and I haven’t been able to find it in any of the national pilot shops. Diamond Canada in their infinite wisdom has released a new fuel pump on the DA62 which requires Prist (and only Prist) to be in the fuel whenever ambient temperatures are below 5C. Diamond in Austria hasn’t made the same requirement for the same fuel pumps installed on the DA42 NG.

Sweden

Hi,

I used to get it from our MX shop in France but it’s getting more and more complicated.

We are using this one from Aero-Sense for our TBM:
https://www.aero-sense.com/en/ice-5-fuel-system-icing-inhibitor

Don't get too slow
LECU, Spain

Prist is nothing other than diethylene glycol monomethyl ether, which you can buy from a chemical supplier in your country.

LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

Indeed, Prist is only a brand name for DEGMME (diethylene glycol monomethyl ether). Other brands include AvLab Dice Flash 190 and Aero Sense Ice 5. Some rare airports even sell the fuel pre-blended with the stuff in it. In Eastern Europe, you may also get methanol for that, I cannot comment on the Diamond fuel pump, but I just accept that for my turbine engine. (My guess it is fine for piston engines and their fuel pumps, too.)

If your ordering quantities are too small for the webshop of Aero-Sense to be cost-effective (80 EUR surcharge for orders below 500 EUR if I recall correctly), there are several resellers that will sell by the can without a fixed huge surcharge, such as e.g. Aircraft Spruce’s “official” German reseller and the shop of our forum-resident Peter Mundy at https://pilotshop.nl/contents/en-us/p2183_Aero-Sense_ICE-5_Fuel_anti-icing_additive.html

For the AvLabs Dice D-F190, see https://www.for-fly.com/aditiva-do-paliva/d-f190-antiicing-fuel-additive/ and email them for quotes to ship to other countries.

The stuff has shot up in price earlier this year, I rushed to buy all existing stock of all shops that hadn’t noticed yet, or had decided to sell their existing stock at the old price still.

Even though the price difference is staggering compared to the plain bottles, I take the sprayer versions, else (the recommendations say) the stuff won’t properly mix with the fuel.

The stuff is seriously toxic and carcinogenic, wear gloves and carefully avoid any projection. It also attacks the paint on the plane…

Last Edited by lionel at 06 Nov 20:30
ELLX

lionel wrote:

he stuff is seriously toxic and carcinogenic, wear gloves and carefully avoid any projection.

Fortunately, it’s much less toxic than original Prist of several decades ago, which was MONOethylene glycol monomethyl ether (also known as methyl cellosolve). But don’t get your bare hands in it anyway.

Last Edited by Ultranomad at 06 Nov 21:23
LKBU (near Prague), Czech Republic

one never finishes to learn on EuroGA

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

one never finishes to learn on EuroGA

That’s the great thing! I learn something new here every day.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

whenever ambient temperatures are below 5C

That is ridiculous, surely.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Cttime wrote:

ambient temperatures are below 5C

But that is on every flight??? Or how do you calculate that, temperature on ground before flight?

Germany

UdoR wrote:

But that is on every flight??? Or how do you calculate that, temperature on ground before flight?

It needs to be read in the most conservative way until clarification comes from Diamond. Ambient means OAT and it doesn’t say only on the ground, so any time the air you plan to fly in is forecast to be below 5C. From what I’ve heard the 62 requires this and the 42NG doesn’t because the Canadian authorities require Diamond to prove the new pumps don’t produce any icing-related issues and apparently the Austrian authority doesn’t.

Ultranomad wrote:

Prist is nothing other than diethylene glycol monomethyl ether, which you can buy from a chemical supplier in your country.

The problem is Diamond has written it this way:

They haven’t left any room for substitution by giving a brand name.

Sweden
17 Posts
Sign in to add your message