Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (28-29 October 2023)

Great photos Dan. I have flown all around the Swiss Alps many many times, but had never seen the Sieben Hengste. Spectacular.

Nearby I have admired the ridge along the north side of the Brienzersee from the air. Fantastic hiking country!

Upper Harford private strip UK, near EGBJ, United Kingdom

I did some C172 low flying and showering

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Here in the S. UK it is rain every day for the next week or two… time to spend £50k on some avionics

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

No flying for me, still working to get my V35A back in business. Turns out that one can reach a point where powering up avionics without having the single components mounted in the panel feels very gratifying :)

Accessing the rearmost avionics shelf is another thing that requires some flexibility (still working on extracting my mechanic from there though)

And, while working in the cockpit collecting and bundling the new cabling, the outside is being treated and polished. I will come back with a report on how it went once it’s done, but I really have to admit those guys are doing an awesome work. It’s incredible what one can get out of the (still original) 1970ies paintjob. Once done it will get a ceramic coating and hopefully withstand for several more years, at a fraction of the cost and downtime
of a real paintjob:

(left after cleaning, right before)

LOWI,LIPB, Italy

Was hoping to go for a short local flight with a passenger, but due to the great British weather the plan was quickly downscaled to a couple of circuits and eventually cancelled entirely after a heavy rain came right as I was about to start the engines.

I thought that it would be sad to have come to the airfield and do nothing, so I decided to update some Garmin databases in the meantime. I had a couple of hours of “immense fun” with G1000 SD cards: my first attempt to update the Jepp charts ended up getting stuck at 60% and corrupting something. If that wasn’t enough I also accidentally deleted Terrain database on PFD, but in the end after juggling with a Bad Elf Wombat and some cheap card reader I managed to get everything work, so I feel as great as if I actually had managed to fly.

Last Edited by YakovD at 29 Oct 14:32
EGKR, United Kingdom

Visited one of the best airports in Croatia.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Beautiful!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Just checked that my house is OK and put the plane back to the museum :) LeSving- how does your Savannah like cold starts? I discovered that if I pull out the choke while burping the prop, it starts on first attempt even around 0, without it it takes a lot of time on starter until it fires..

EETU, Estonia

I discovered that if I pull out the choke while burping the prop, it starts on first attempt even around 0, without it it takes a lot of time on starter until it fires

The choke circuit on the Bings will flood the engine just like a primer pump when it is rotated by hand. It’s a useful feature for a plane, less so for a Bing equipped motorcycle on which it’s easy to excessively flood the engine by cranking on the starter. One learns to use the choke only as much as required

It’ll be 25C here later today, although only 12 C in bright sunshine as I write this. This is the best time of the year for flying and many other things.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 29 Oct 15:17

Despite persistent low pressure over Britain, we had enough good weather to go to England last week and get our annual done, then fly back today.

Even in England within shouting distance of Sheffield and Manchester, you get some quite wide open spaces as you approach the Pennines

Flying over the Lake District at 4500’ looked pretty atmospheric with clouds hugging the hilltops (and there’s some reasonably high peaks in the Cumbrian mountains, while it’s not the 12000+ peaks of the Alps it’s still good flying country.

Andreas IOM
Sign in to add your message