Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Integration on uncontrolled French airfields

So, back to the example case: even if that pilot picked up the runway in use from other pilots’ radio transmissions (not sure if he didn’t speak French) at the very least, the pilot should have entered at the beginning of downwind. Straight-ins, or even base-leg joins or mid-downwind joins to the pattern are NEVER allowed at non-ATS aerodromes. That‘s what the law says!

“Euhh…Boff…Ahhh…Peut-etre….”

Tell that to every single Paradrop aeroplane flying in France and around half of the glider tugs…Oh, and maybe a third of Instructors at their home field…

@skydriller you make a valid point but they are committing an infraction and could receive a call from the DGAC/DSAC.
However, most French pilots have a live and let live mentality, they talk to other pilots, but that doesn’t mean that the glider tug landing contra QFU wouldn’t be a little sheepish when confronted by the pilot of the aircraft landing on the correct runway, especially if that aircraft is forced to go round because of it.
The German pilot concerned committed a couple of infractions (no doubt about that) but no one is suggesting that he should be chased down and fined.even though from the sound of it the French instructor was basically given the brush off when he tried to educate him.
The end result is CRESAG looking for a better method than the AIP to inform foreign pilots about French regulations.

France

@gallois , I have had it explained to me that the rules actually state “joining traffic must establish the runway in use and fit in with the pattern of aircraft established in the circuit” which gives quite some leeway in what you can do at a French uncontrolled aerodrome… Is this not the case?

To give our resident parachute guy due credit, he does fit in and fly “a kind of circuit” if there are other aircraft on frequency…

That’s a hilarious interpretation of the French reg; link to thread posted earlier. Presumably a French speaking pilot will be fine, however. I would not like to test it myself and publish a video

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

As you say fitting in with other traffic in the circuit is often the case on small French airfields, especially as everyone knows each other.
However, that doesn’t mean cutting in front of someone unless you know they will be okay with it.
They should be aware of eg the student on first solo and not do anything that might unnerve them.
The same applies to a stranger arriving as they might well be a little more stressed especially arriving at a circuit they have never been to before. Give them scope to fly a bit wider circuit or take more time to clear the runway.

France
45 Posts
Sign in to add your message