Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (19-20 August 2023)

Saw plenty of those container cities on the coast, a sign of Brexit?

Caravans… I could post about who lives there but it would be awfully non PC It’s a solution for low cost housing, often council (State) provided, and much nicer than the decrepit and crime-ridden high rise blocks favoured elsewhere, but some are holiday homes with a specific Planning prohibition on 365 day occupancy (you have to move out for a month each year).

Actually the biggest caravan parks I have ever seen were in N Ireland.

I had a tour of the old Brighton Pier many year ago, before it “accidentally” caught fire and collapsed.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Airborne_Again wrote:

I made a lot of “introduction flights” around our town with interested visitors.

Spreading the virus, huh? THanks!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Dan wrote:

3 hour direct flight to clear customs at Grenchen LSZG first

After your epic North-American bimble, you make Switzerland to Scotland (and back) for the weekend look like a walk in the park…

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Oil and filter change for me after the flying of the last two weeks.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Made a trip from Neustadt EDQN to Hosin LKHS in Czech Republic, then to Krems LOAG in Austria on 15th August.
While we were in Krems, a thunderstorm front developed, blocking our route back home.
We took off at around 7pm and fought our way through the receding front. We navigated from airfield to airfield and were ready to drop into any of them at the slightest sign of (meteorological) trouble. Curiously enough, there was no turbulence (apart from a few, rare, instances of light turbulence) and only very light rain. Obviously we stayed way clear of heavy rain / thunderstorm areas. We made it home 15 minutes before the night.

We were rewarded by wonderful cloud views and a sunset:

Last Edited by etn at 21 Aug 05:39
etn
EDQN, Germany

Antonio wrote:

Spreading the virus, huh?

That’s the idea!

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

a dramatic set of pictures @etn!

Love that last shot, with the occupants reflections, pretty cool

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Flew back to Sweden on sunday, basically same route in reverse (LFQW-EDVK-ESMK). Good tailwinds (15-25kts) all along, the return trip was much quicker.

Climbed to FL110 to get above the weather in NE France

Then SE Germany had very little clouds by midday

This time I came to Kassel EDVK well before the charter plane from Majorca, so I got fuel within 10 minutes of landing.
I made a longer break in Kassel, as there was fog over most of southern Sweden until mid afternoon. The tower at ESMK was closed yesterday, so I had to wait for the weather to break-up in the later afternoon and do a VFR arrival.

By 15:00Z the fog over Skåne had transformed to SCT

The fog bank was still over Bornholm and south-east Sweden

I heard on the radio that Rønne EKRN still had OVC002. When driving home 30km east I drove into fog too, so it was not far away.

Last Edited by Arne at 21 Aug 09:32
ESMK, Sweden

Antonio wrote:

Switzerland to Scotland (and back) for the weekend look like a walk in the park

Well, it is… or was
The flying is pure pleasure, so no big deal there. I guess travelling solo gives one great freedom, and is way easier. This in opposition of having wifey, or even worse kids/wifey/grandmother/kitchen sink/etc to attend to…

The most tedious, as we all know, is the paperwork required, all to feed our beloved desk pushers.
Example for getting to Scotland (return is a similar procedure, or slightly easier in my case since I overflew France)

• Switzerland, customs code request for online form
  • Switzerland, customs exit online form filling
  • Switzerland, customs form activation phone call
  • France, EU entry online form (which of course does not work on the iPad)
  • France, EU exit online form
  • UK, GAR thru SD
  • Flight plan Switzerland – France
  • Flight plan France – UK

It almost feels like European countries are at war with each other… a state of affairs for which we can only thank all of those fantastic politicians of ours, well done, bravo

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

What are those online forms?

I’ve never done any of those. I just make a stop at an airport which has customs+immigration. Technically, pre-brexit, and the virtually unknown German/Italian special concessions aside, you needed just immigration but nearly all airports in Europe have both, or none. No forms (outside of Greece).

Maybe you mean the EU Gendec? Does that actually go anywhere, other than ex covid large scale data collection which continues?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom
Sign in to add your message