Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (19-20 August 2023)

I took some warbirds pics and then flew to Bled LJBL.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

With my plane’s Annual inspection completed, a week ago Friday I dropped my oil cooler off for ‘overhaul’ (mostly that means cleaning) and this afternoon reinstalled it. The weather has been hot and this was a preemptive measure, the oil cooler has never been flushed. That work and the reinstallation was successful, but the engine run-up done as a test revealed that the charging system has spontaneously quit!

Thinking the cause must be something obvious related to the Annual (I really don’t like other people’s hands on my plane, problems often ensue) I looked at everything… and found nothing. This included swapping both the voltage regulator and over-voltage protection (I have spares on hand for both) with no result. The IA I worked with this year had no ideas, but encouraged me to figure it out and let him know when I did so, nominally working under his supervision

With an unusual summer storm inbound on Sunday, I’ll have some time to think of over and a project for next weekend. Another A&P IA friend who is retired and therefore not so busy has been enlisted for consultations and we’ll get to the bottom of it.

Entropy and possibly shop wear in action. Annual inspections are not a bad thing because they give you a change to fuss over the plane, but they aren’t without their hazards.

Last Edited by Silvaire at 20 Aug 03:11

@Dan and @IO390 what is it about your flaps?
Should they be left out or retracted?
In a Robin they should be left out to make ot easier to climb onto and off the wing.
On the DA 40 they are left retracted because you climb in via a step at the front. I have not seen an RV6/7 close up. There aren’t many around here, of any.

France

@gallois this flap thing is prompted by an earlier post of mine where I spotted an RV parked with flaps extended. Unlike us properly trained, certified aircraft flying, conscious pilots, these RebelVehicle folks want to show their independence in this way. It’s a reaction Dan’s time commanding an Airbus where he probably was a good boy and retracted his flaps. Ever since, I get bullied on this topic by Dan and now IO390, be it in a subtle way. Life is hard

Last Edited by aart at 20 Aug 07:40
Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Oh and, in an attempt to agree to something in the middle, I’ve suggested that he at least leaves one of the flaps retracted. Haven’t heard back yet.

Great pics all, thank you!

Private field, Mallorca, Spain

Thanks aart. So it should be flaps retracted for parking an RV. Might come in handy one day😂

France

aart wrote:

Ever since, I get bullied on this topic by Dan and now IO390, be it in a subtle way. Life is hard

Both older and younger attack you… I would feel squeezed in generation gap…

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

My club had an open house day yesterday. I made a lot of “introduction flights” around our town with interested visitors.

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

We went to LSGN Neuchâtel for an overnight. Easy flight, following the Blackforest, crossing the Rhine and then landing in the Jura at Neuchâtel. Same way back.

EDDS , Germany

gallois wrote:

So it should be flaps retracted for parking an RV

yes, but only if @Aart is lurking from his isolated Pa radise lma de Mallorca, they sure do things differently down there. And leaving them flaps down is frowned upon, a sign of laissez-aller which does not fit the strict way of life there.

@IO390 unfortunately missed some very interesting RV talks around a good selection of wine and liquor tasting, with an RAF gang and Herman (D-EIGT)… ok, you gotta be older than 18 to attend these kind gathering I guess.

Nevertheless, joined the South coast of the U of K, waved @Peter flying past Shoreham, and landed safely in the heat of my base (33°C) after a 3 hour direct flight to clear customs at Grenchen LSZG first.

Saw plenty of those container cities on the coast, a sign of Brexit?

The old (as anyone would have guessed) Brighton pier

Last Edited by Dan at 20 Aug 16:48
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message