Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week(-end)? (7-13 August 2023)

arj1 wrote:

perform six (!) RNP 21 approaches

Trying to update your FAA instrument currency or what? Yoou could try different approaches for variation. UK wx was not that great during the weekend either, or was it?

Antonio
LESB, Spain

Antonio wrote:

arj1 wrote: perform six (!) RNP 21 approaches

Trying to update your FAA instrument currency or what? Yoou could try different approaches for variation. UK wx was not that great during the weekend either, or was it?

No, I was doing my CBIR training – somehow while I’ve been doing OK with other elements of an IFR flight (with all the check and filing an FP and talking to London Control, even the single-need hold), the final approach bit (the most important bit!!!) has really degraded, so I was trying to get back to some decent level of 3D (LNAV-V) and 2D (LNAV) approach standards…

EGTR

Conversely, one couldn’t have wished for better weather this past weekend in the southeast of Europe. A couple of pics taken while flying across Slovakia:

Last Edited by boscomantico at 16 Aug 18:15
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

I went for a sunset flight on sunday.
Since we are not allowed to take off after 20:00 local for a local flight i tried to also go for dinner somewhere.
After trying to find an airfield where the kitchen is open on a sunday evening i dicided to fly to Saint-Hubert EBSH. A grass airfield with a lot of glider activity but more importantly a hotel with restaurant on the airfield itself.
The food was excellent with very reasonable prices.
The shorter runway of the 2 was in use, 600m usable distance.
Being at 1800ft and located on a large hump, the distance was right on the limit of the P2010.
On the way back the sunset didn’t disappoint.

EBZW, Belgium

One of my employees was going to arrive late to the office so I suggested he stopped by the airfield instead. He has a PPL but hasn’t been able to fly much so given the rare spell of good weather we went flying.

Stopped at Earls Colne to see a friend who flies the air ambulance. The MD902 is seriously cool, but twin turbine stuff really is on another level. The entire floor panels (about 200×100cm are machined from one piece of aluminium for example.

Then off to Duxford in the afternoon. Beats going to work.

Last Edited by IO390 at 16 Aug 20:34
United Kingdom

boscomantico wrote:

A couple of pics taken while flying across Slovakia:

Makes sense: rather than flying to a pre-determined location, see where wx is good and go! Well done! (envious voice inside of me thinking of the two fronts we had to cross and (exaggerating) battle ATC for)

Antonio
LESB, Spain

FlyingAppel wrote:

find an airfield where the kitchen is open on a sunday evening

Great strategy, even better views! (Another envious voice in me since our base airfiled only allows landings up to 1845local…yes, working on that one too…)

Last Edited by Antonio at 16 Aug 20:48
Antonio
LESB, Spain

IO390 wrote:

The MD902 is seriously cool,

Yes, I am really disappointed it did not sell in larger numbers. I really like the concept of the “hidden” tail rotor.

Nice apron companions at Duxford!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

@IO390… mmmh, again one of ’em RV with nonchalant flap position

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

@Jujupilote it’s a Warrior II (160hp) from my club.

@Antonio I ended up flying all the way on Sunday behind the front, Saturday was too marginal. The 160hp PA-28 does not get much higher than FL110 in summer (with ISA+9, that’s almost 12500ft DA), not a lot of flexibility. I also stuck to a westerly route, there were still massive TCUs over eastern Germany.

ESMK, Sweden
Sign in to add your message