Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week(-end)? (7-13 August 2023)

@Antonio, interesting to see a Globe/Temco Swift in Europe A couple of friends have them local to me.

Dan wrote:

Dan13-Aug-23 15:1212
Had fantastic, if slightly hot, flying weather this week-end

Left my home base on Friday for a direct flight to Krems LOAG. South of Innsbruck, slightly South of Zell am See, all set in beautiful mountains.
Saturday made a local flight to Nötsch im Gailtal LOKN, a lovely grass field, for coffee and unfinished business (true )… before returning to Krems, mainly following the mountain ridges between Austria, and Slovenia / Hungary.

The fly-in had a good attendance, some 70+ aircraft, mostly Austrian (…), German, Dutch, and a few Swiss… some nicely crafted machines for sure. It is always a pleasure to reunite with folks sharing the same passion

Flew back this morning Sunday, following a more northerly route which now took me North of Innsbruck.

Krems an der Donau

LeSving13-Aug-23 15:4513
The owner of the field and myself arranged a fly-in at ENMO yesterday. With BBQ, Luftwaffels, coffee. Very sub optimal weather, but a total of 7 bush/STOL planes gathered

Oh boy… These trips look amazing! Good on ya boys! ;-)

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Silvaire wrote:

a Globe/Temco Swift in Europe

Well spotted! A nicely polished example.

Antonio
LESB, Spain

I’m pretty sure that Swift was at Ganderkesee EDWQ when we stayed there back in mid June. Pretty stunning.

Last weekend I flew down to Vesoul LFQW, which is near where I come from and my parents live, for the second time this summer. First leg was uneventful, the layer was well below, but 20-35 knots in the nose.
Sunshine when leaving Sweden

An overcast over northern Germany

70% of the trip was this

Same routing via Kassel EDVK. Busy arrival there, I ended up doing one lap of the XAROL hold, while the Mooney behind me was in the WRB hold.
Unfortunately a charter landed shortly behind us, so all ground staff was busy with them, and I had to wait for fuel for 50 minutes.
Viewing the apron from the fuel station

Plane watching

Delayed my next flight plan by 15 minutes, ate my lunch by the fuel truck, quick pit stop and fee payment at the C office, and off I went again.

Second leg was more of the same, the layer was a little higher now, but I could stay above the buildups at FL100 with minimal zigzagging.
Watching clouds from very close

I had filed FL90 because some legs don’t validate higher, but the controller was very accommodating with many flights asking for lower/higher due to weather.

In France, the previous time the Strasbourg controller let me stay at altitude and IFR even beyond my last point POGOL, but this time this controller insisted to have me descend below the layer and switch to VFR there.
VFR at 4500ft

LFSX was closed but still needed to go round their temporary forbidden area that stretches to FL055

Down there was marginally more bumpy, but a lot less headwind so I actually had better ground speed.

Last Edited by Arne at 15 Aug 16:02
ESMK, Sweden

Dan wrote:

Had fantastic, if slightly hot, flying weather this week-end

A shame I’ve missed you, Dan!

EDLE

Arne, that looks like GA put to good use. Is that an Archer ? Is it a club airplane ?

LFOU, France

@europaxs, yep, we almost met by chance
So you were in that group of Europas? Your neighbours, the Swiss yellow Pottier and the French RV-4 are father/son and super good friends of mine.
Hope you had as good a time as I had… maybe you’ll pop in at Popham on Saturday?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Dan wrote:

Hope you had as good a time as I had… maybe you’ll pop in at Popham on Saturday?

@Dan – yes, I did! Unfortunately not at Popham on saturday. Next events on my agenda will be
https://www.flyrotax.com/e/rotax-fly-in-2023
http://www.texelflyin.nl/

EDLE

Jujupilote wrote:

that looks like GA put to good use.

Yes, quite a lot of utility out of a PA28! Also wx was not the best in Europe at the weekend with a stormy cold front sweeping through: I flew part of the same route Southbound on Saturday

so I am glad you could plan and fly it through, but do tell us more!

Antonio
LESB, Spain

People have very interesting lives!
For the 11-Aug-23 mine was: take-off from Biggin Hill, fly to Lydd, perform six (!) RNP 21 approaches and fly back. Most of these things were done in IMC, so no photos…

EGTR
Sign in to add your message