Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week(-end)? (7-13 August 2023)

Away from my own airplane, and at work, I went out to do the every 5-day OEM recommended APU run to keep the batteries (primarily E-batts and standby batts) charged above a min level. It´s mundane task, but “has” to be done. There is a “walk around” vid and a “flight deck” vid – see below links, or scroll past them if it´s of no interest to you, this sort of stuff. Prior to the simple push on the APU start button, I reminded myself (BS; it´s written next to the button and it´s got auto shut down anyways) the max start ITT, and then I though about (not that I actually care) the price tag of this “little” generator (aka APU) is something like 70 x that of my poor little Rallye.. And then there´s all the rest of it… ;-)

Last Edited by Yeager at 09 Aug 21:59
Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Nice office

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Yeager wrote:

I went out to do the every 5-day OEM recommended APU run

Great plane but just crazy to design a system like that! A Lear from our hangar had to go on a local flight every few weeks as else it would become unairworthy. A huge hassle and expense. Do the designers assume such planes are only operated like airliners 24/7?

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

Sebastian_G10-Aug-23 10:4003
Yeager wrote:
I went out to do the every 5-day OEM recommended APU run
Great plane but just crazy to design a system like that! A Lear from our hangar had to go on a local flight every few weeks as else it would become unairworthy. A huge hassle and expense. Do the designers assume such planes are only operated like airliners 24/7?

There is an alternative method/procedure (to re-charging (APU or GPU run) every 5 days) to avoid doing it – and that´s to disconnect (pull CBs) the 4 Emergency Batteries (E-bats/EBHA) and the ships 2 main batteries (disconnect). We just chose to take opportunity to power it up, re-charge and run/cycle other systems at the same time, every 5 days. My main point is to say – it´s not requiring attention as per se every 5 days. But then of course there is the engine warranty requirement to run the engines every 2 weeks anyways!!

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal

Yeager wrote:

But then of course there is the engine warranty requirement to run the engines every 2 weeks anyways!!

The G650 is really an amazing aircraft but the more one gets into the details, the more it shows it really needs a professional flight department to run it ;-)

www.ing-golze.de
EDAZ

Sebastian_G wrote:

The G650 is really an amazing aircraft but the more one gets into the details, the more it shows it really needs a professional flight department to run it ;-)

I would say that it takes either a very experienced pilot, with maintenance oversight experience/knowledge, or even better a dedicated Director Of Maintenance (DOM) (Mechanic/Engineer) to run these jets in the best interest of the client/owner. A Flight Management company will of course provide all of that – at a price tag! ;-)

Socata Rally MS.893E
Portugal
Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Going to the Igo Etrich homebuilts fly-in tomorrow. This takes place in Austria at Krems-Langelois LOAG, which is close to the lovely city of Krems an der Donau

Last Edited by Dan at 10 Aug 19:39
Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Subscribed to the local club after relocating.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 13 Aug 12:03
LFOU, France

took the plane home for some cleaning..

Last Edited by ivark at 13 Aug 12:01
EETU, Estonia
42 Posts
Sign in to add your message