Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What are the things you don't like doing or frustrates you related to aviation? (looking for business ideas)

Laurent_N wrote:

I found a very interesting statistic: 80% of fatal private plane crashes happen on the first flight of the day

Without any statistics showing how many GA aircraft only fly once per day that stats means nothing.

Nympsfield, United Kingdom

Coming late to the thread. didn’t read all, but apologies if already mentioned.

I personally would love to have better available data and search for airport by properties:

Which airport are near XXX with runway > YYY and in asphalt
Or list of airport that have instrument approach and are airport of entry in France or germany
Or list of airport with cheap landing fee

Some of that data is available (list of airport) but couldn’t find other way to do it. foreflight has a lot of the info, but you can’ search it easily.

I think starting a github open page with either these data or link to open data and/or code to parse/extract into db this info would be amazing.

I think a lot of people in aviation are quite technical, and it could be a collaborative project were people add more and more…

and then people can build apps/services on top of the data.

my first minimum ask would be:

There are list of airport, can we add list of instrument approach for each airport (which can we go IFR) and which are port of entry

EGTF, United Kingdom

@roznet great idea. There is an open source list of airports with navigation aids close to them. It could be used as a starting point.
I am happy to share it if you want (it is not mine).

LRPW, LRBS, Romania

@roznet great idea. There is an open source list of airports with navigation aids close to them. It could be used as a starting point.
I am happy to share it if you want (it is not mine).

Yes, I have found a list of airport and runways, and independently a list of french airport with custom entry. that’s a start but missing a lot.

May not be much more available, so maybe we’d have to start building specific pdf parser for each of the format of the AIP for the different countries… I think the AIP are available by API from eurocontrol maybe?

EGTF, United Kingdom

Reading that article I get ChatGPT wibes how do you differentiate the first flight vs the only flight?

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

Yes – too many similar paragraphs and similar phrases.

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

LeSving wrote:

Reading that article I get ChatGPT wibes how do you differentiate the first flight vs the only flight?

Hard to say. If there was an incident, it was definitely the only flight

LRPW, LRBS, Romania

The dodgy OEI perf MEPs can’t be used for public transport anyway. Only charter AOC stuff.

That’s a contradiction. There’s no difference if an AOC operator offers ad-hoc or scheduled flights. Both undertakings are considered public (commercial air transport), from the regulator‘s point of view.

always learning
LO__, Austria

Sure, but you know the answer

Maybe number of seats?

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

There used to be a passenger (taxi) service between the mainland and LFEY in a DA42.
It stopped, not due to regulation but because it was not commercial ie it lost money.

France
90 Posts
Sign in to add your message