Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

What have you done with, or on your aircraft, this week-end? (17-18 June 2023)

Since I had to fly everyday for the last 7 days (…) decided to give YLL a WE break… and remove some items from my HIL

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

Sadly work and not GA,
EBLG-CYMX-KATL deadhead KJFK and tomorrow back to EBLG
And all in less then 48h :(

EBZW, Belgium

Yesterday the DA40 was leased out to a sister club. The Super Guépard was up and down from 0900hrs local to 1600hrs on our handivol day, where people with disabilities and their families are given a local tour. The SG is much easier for people to get into the aircraft from their wheelchairs and back into them at the end of the flight than when we use the DA40 or a Robin. But then we can take 2 passengers at a time.
I did a local flight afterwards but returned quite quickly, spooked by a large black CB slowly making its way to the airfield, spouting electrical discharges. The gliders all wanted to land at the same time contra QFU so had to go round.
Got the ULM back in the hangar before the heavens opened.
I was probably more spooked because of the 2 earthquakes one at 5.6 and the other at 4.5 the night before and the early morning plus some minor aftershocks. The epicenter of each was about 14km away from house.
It seems I am a wimp as everyone else had felt them and weren’t at all perturbed. My glider tow friend did 17 tows and was feeling fatigued after one quake had woken him up at 4.30am and the fact that he is now 80years old and the temperature was between 27°C and 30°C.
Our only visitor an Aquila from Isle d’Yeu.

Last Edited by gallois at 18 Jun 07:00
France

thanks @gallois

Anyone else for this very week-end (few hours left…)?

Dan
ain't the Destination, but the Journey
LSZF, Switzerland

No flying this weekend, but some work in a friend’s hangar. He has a dream set up :)

United Kingdom

A half hour bimble on a beautiful evening. Stopped at my local airport for gas. Nothing special, just appreciating flying!

Home runway, in central Ontario, Canada, Canada

Quick flight to buzz one of the daughters. Lyon FIS controller got a bit upset with me since I said I’d drop down to 3500ft but I went a bit lower – I should have told him ground level + 1000ft. Lesson learned! I needed to get out of there since there t-boomers rolling in from the west.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Went to LEGY, Soria, in the middle of Spain 3 hrs away for the weekend with two other aircraft. The field is mentioned here before and I can only repeat that it’s very convenient. Excellent and long RWY, Mogas, LL100. Some C130’s stationed there. If traveling from elsewhere in Europe to the South of Spain it would be my choice for a stop. No customs and VFR-only though. The town is nice and cosy, and it’s always amazing to see how the cost of living in such areas is around half of what it is in the big cities and in the Balearics. Tourism is a two-edged sword..

I was going to say that you really don’t need the field to be IFR, because the weather is almost always fine. We hit the exception. Contrary to the TAF of nearby Zaragoza, some pesky CB’s came in earlier than expected, fortunately just after our arrival. And we had the foresight to ask for hangarage (landing fee plus hangarage 18 euros) so that came in handy.. These CB’s stayed for the entire night, and we thought it best to leave very early the next morning. We left before another one hit the field but did get into some nasty weather on the way back which we could more or less avoid. Kind of interesting is that we did not file a FPL (no CAS along the route) and when nearing the coast to cross back to Mallorca we contemplated deviating to another field and actually started to do that. Informed Reus tower and he actually declined me to enter CAS. When I realised that the deviation was not going to work anyway I decided not to make a point of it, but it is something to remember. I guess he would have let us in should be have declared an emergency though.

Private field, Mallorca, Spain
8 Posts
Sign in to add your message