Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Germany VFR at FL100+

dutch_flyer wrote:

In my experience even when VFR a controller will usually give even altitudes as opposed to 500ft increments.

ATC has to keep at least 1000ft separation, ignoring the min2000ft very up high, for IFR and commercial above FL100 anyways. So, it does make perfect sense to get us low and slows in their scheme. I never got anything up high to the 500s we are accustomed to in VFR low airspace.

Last Edited by MichaLSA at 22 Aug 08:28
Germany

Everything said already and I think @boscomantico gave the best hints here. I request to fly above FL100 regularly, also on my latest trip to Norway, and if you are aware of active ED-R and TRA zones, and don’t request something above Frankfurt below FL130 or so, your changes are quite good in general. As you experienced by yourself, always ask for full flight levels 110, 120, 130 etc.

One additional thing:

HBadger wrote:

“langen Info, HB-XXX, request climb to FL 105 and enter airspace Charlie, on a xxx heading. I’m Instrument rated.
AFAIK, this additional thing “I’m IR rated” is not gonna help you more. Either ATC can offer you a clearance or not. I’m not IR-rated, but never had any issues at all getting a clearance into general class C. They might refuse pilots with ‘bad’ radio calls quicker, but if you call in a professional manner, there is really nothing to worry about.
Last Edited by Frans at 22 Aug 15:24
Switzerland

Agree to Frans: I’ve never been denied a reasonable request to climb into Airspace C above FL100. Reasonable is: Clear plan (“present position direct xxx”), reasonable routing (not crossing the STAR/SID of a major airport; not “I want to fly across entire Germany but was to lazy to do a flight plan”) and clear communication.

Having said that: for me that only applies if something special happens during flight (e.g. I fly VFR on top of a layer and the tops are higher than expected so that I could not keep required cloud clearance and had to significantly descent.). For planned flights above FL100 in Germany I always file IFR

Germany

MichaLSA wrote:

Unfortunately, we do not have the necessary positive or non punishing error culture in all of Europe, in case if. Specific: risk is not zero a pilot mistakenly takes such an accepted FPL as clearance to enter the FL >100.

It has nothing to do with “error culture” if a pilot that does not know the difference between a flight plan and a clearance is sanctioned.
There are “error culture” situations in this realm – like when FIS says “switch over to Radar for clearance” and the pilot mistakingly understands that he already got a clearance – but those are very rare.

I was actually shocked by a conversation between FIS and a Pilot recently (a bit abbreviated – but nothing made up as my phantasy would not go as far as to imagine such a pilot).
FIS: D-Mxxx you are about to enter Airspace Charlie Frankfurt in 5 miles – I suggest to descend below 3500ft or turn significantly west to avoid
D-Mxxx: That must be your mistake (!!!), we filed a flight plan from (somewhere in northern Germany) via MTR and RID to EDFM in FL110
FIS: I See you in FL70
D-Mxxx: Yes, because the last controller told us to stay below FL100
FIS: So you don’t have a clearance for airspace Charlie
D-Mxxx: But our flight plan got accepted
FIS: Still, this is not a clearance
D-Mxxx: But the last controller told us it is okay if we stay below FL100
FIS: D-Mxxx: Suggest to descent below 3500ft or turn heading 090 immediately VFR in VMC.

Germany
24 Posts
Sign in to add your message