Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

French airspace changes from ATC union papers

You may know that French ATC is under pressure for its technical gap, numerous strikes which makes for more flight delays than the rest of Europe. (That’s what statistics and airlines say, personally, I find them good)

A great change is in preparation.

• Only half of the APP units will be kept : CDG, Orly, Nantes, Lille, Strasbourg, Bâle-Mulhouse, Lyon, Nice, Marseille, Montpellier, Toulouse, Bordeaux
    No more Rennes, La Rochelle, Deauville, Seine, Poitiers, Limoges, St Yan, Lorraine etc…
  • Many ATC towers will be closed or made AFIS. The list is under study.
  • All the FIS will be centralized in a single FIS unit manned by FISOs (like Langen in Germany).
  • In addition, the remote tower experiment in Tours LFOT is canceled. The camera tower is in place, DGAC gave no reason why the cancelation. Info
LFOU, France

Well, it seems that they had a look in Germany and at how efficient ATS services for a big country work.

In Germany, having an approach controller sitting in almost each and every control tower (or at least someone doing approach control, even if he also does TWR at the same time) is something that was abandoned about 30 or 40 years ago. Sooner or later, the UK will realize this as well…

For VFR, the day this comes will be a sad day, as the service from the various SIVs is always excellent, and getting clearances into the respective TMA is super-easy and immediate.

For IFR, I can’t see too many downsides.

Also, for the typical VFR or IFR GA pilot, having only AFIS instead of TWR does not really have many downsides (except possibly less IFR capacity). To the contrary, if the various CTRs go away, it is better for VFR pilots because it means they can no longer be trapped when class D VMC conditions are not met.

Last Edited by boscomantico at 12 Apr 09:09
Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

It’s a strange one and the DGAC have given no explanation to cancelling the remote tower project. But Tours still has a tower and 4 ATCOs so it would seem that the DGAC are for some reason not kean on copying Germany and Scandinavia.
It shouldn’t make much difference having AFISOs instead of ATCOs in places like La Rochelle as long as for IFR the QNH is still available. The other question will be if the TMAs will disappear and whether Class D airspace will be downgraded to Class E airspace. If there’s no one to give clearances what is the point of having anything above Class E or TMAs?

France

La Rochelle has serious amounts of CAT. No way the TWR will disappear there.

I guess they are thinking more about deserted places like Albert Bray, Merville, Deauville, Chateauroux, St.Etienne, Agen. And possibly L2K or Aix.

Then there are also a few towered airports without CTR, like Colmar, etc.

Mainz (EDFZ) & Egelsbach (EDFE), Germany

St Yan is pretty dead but there is/was an FTO there so there may be a “got to look good” need for ATC. But a lot of the time the tower is empty anyway.

The worrying thing in all this is that in France nobody cares about whether an airport goes bust or not. You could have an airport with 100 employees, of whom 80 will lose their jobs if the police pull out (C+I) but the police absolutely do not care. All that keeps places going is “political connections”.

Remote towers threaten ATC jobs – simple!

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Add to that St Nazaire, Bergerac, Caen, Dinard, Quimper, Brive, Rodez etc…
ATC towers will become the exception, AFIS the norm.
It does not worries me.

Lets hope the central FIS unit will not become London Info-like (QNH is XXX, remain OCAS, bye)

CAS will shrink with:

• CTRs replaced by RMZs where towers are replaced by AFIS
  • TMAs reduced to Class G when no CAT (my 2 cents)

St Yan, like Biscarosse, Muret and Melun have a base of DGAC’s flight school. We will see if they choose these places to be closed. These towers are still open for pure internal relations and comfort.

Last Edited by Jujupilote at 12 Apr 14:07
LFOU, France

Peter I don’t know where you get the impression that no one cares if an airport goes bust in France. Perhaps you could give an example of one that has gone bust and disappeared without anybody caring.

Last Edited by gallois at 12 Apr 16:52
France

Not gone bust but lost, reportedly, 1/3 of its traffic. Quite a few N French airports. I’d say Cherbourg lost rather more than 1/3. But Cherbourg is safe because prob100 it is kept as an emergency runway for the nuclear plane nearby.

All this stuff is “death by a thousand cuts”. The bean counters are slowly waking up…

Administrator
Shoreham EGKA, United Kingdom

Yes many airports have lost a large slice of their traffic, but that’s a bit different from saying no one cares. There are very few airfields that relied on UK GA traffic.
It’s usually a loss of a CAT route that causes the big problem. GA is just peripheral except at airports like LFAT or Calais. And in the case of Calais it lost most of its ga traffic when UK ATOs from Southern England were no longer able to use it so easily for IFR training.

France

I found more info.

The towers to be closed are among the F & G classes in this table. no number has been given yet.

Note that this table is probably old. L2K is among the G class.
DGAC said no tower will be closed without the approval of local stakeholders. I doubt it.

The APP units will be reduced from 29 to 15. The list of 12 I gave above is therefore incomplete. Clermont-Ferrand seems to be among the ones to continue.

The FIC centers could be two instead of one (no difference). They discuss about the trainings and tools given to the FISOs.

A small phrase from a union caught my attention : DGAC pays attention to the Class E airspace whose disappearance it legitimately seeks.

French ATC is on a hard strike this thursday. Good luck

LFOU, France
Sign in to add your message