Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

Stall Spin Video with full Analysis

In the M20K I am usually trimmed way more “up” in the flare than I would be when starting the takeoff roll. In this configuration, the plane really needs a lot of pressure on the yoke to stay safe, and the three seconds it takes for the electric trim to catch up seem like an eternity. Once you know it’s coming, it’s fine, but a piece of a 2×4 behind the seat is reassuring (if the seat slides back for whatever reason before you re-trim, you probably die).

On a go-around it I find it helpful to not put in all the power at first; also, the trim is not as “up” as it would be in the flare. Might also work on a T&G with a sufficiently long runway.

Alas, all this isn’t really relevant to the video.

tmo
EPKP - Kraków, Poland

gallois wrote:

That’s very poor movement for an automatic tracking system and someone must have set it up pretty badly. Where did you get that information?

From the guy who set it up, it is pretty impressive:
its a custom-built system originally developed for fun (quick way to see what’s going on down at the local airport before making the trip there), but it has evolved over time. There are now a few airports asking for it. I’m working with one airport already in PA ..so its available now. However, its far from a plug-it-in-and-go system.. Each airport is different — finding ideal places to locate the camera(s), VHF, ADS-B, and UAT antennas, and internet connection speeds are all different. There’s a lot going on behind the video you saw — the system is receiving the ADS-B and UAT position reports from aircraft, simulcasting them to FlightRadar24, ADSBExchange, and FlightAware, streaming the VHF audio to LiveATC.. pulling the AWOS data from the airport’s AWOS system (of which, every airport seems to have a completely different system).. detecting departures/arrivals and (on which runways), and keeping that history in a reportable database (airports generally report how many operations occur per day/month/year.. so this is super accurate and easy to get real numbers from instead of estimating).. and lastly, of course, it live-streams it to YouTube in high-def 4K, though some airports prefer to simulcast it to in-airport TV screens. If you’re interested in it for your local airport, shoot me an email at [email protected] and we can talk specifics about your airport.

It’s in the comments

of one of his other videos.

EDQH, Germany

Silvaire wrote:

Another possibility is that the seat slipped back on its tracks as he opened the throttle.

I had that happen once when I had to go around on a re-familiarization flight with a C172 which didn’t want to lose the extra speed I added because was freezing and wanted to be on the ground quickly. Scared the hell out of me and thankfully the seat locked in the next seat rail hole. I knew this can happen and checked thoroughly before takeoff but I think the seat got somehow jammed at the rail’s front stop and didn’t move when I checked it.

I wonder if it would work in such a situation to quickly let loose of the yoke and try to fix the situation with rudder (need long enough legs for that) and throttle/trim only. I mean you don’t have to fully fix it. Driving the plane in a shallow angle into the hedge is still better than stalling from 50ft.

EDQH, Germany

Clipperstorch wrote:

I wonder if it would work in such a situation to quickly let loose of the yoke and try to fix the situation with rudder (need long enough legs for that) and throttle/trim only.

Depending on your body size and the position of the seat at start/finish, I think it would not turn out good for most people. I had this risk drilled into my head during primary training, but have to confess I didn’t appreciate the seriousness at that time. I guess it’s another good reason to make sure trim is set correctly in case you have to release the yoke and hope that the aircraft flies itself.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Clipperstorch wrote:

From the guy who set it up, it is pretty impressive:

I was impressed with it, even with the glitches. Not sure why they would not just install 3-4 of these at every airport – wifi PTZ cameras are less than 50 Euro these days. I hope this guy creates a package – it would be great to have these everywhere. I love watching landings, and KOSH needs about 10 cameras to catch all the fun landings during airventure.

Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland

Yes but the crash was a badly managed bounced balked landing

To be precise, the crash was badly managed bouncing followed by badly try of go-around.

LDZA LDVA, Croatia

Emir wrote:

To be precise, the crash was badly managed bouncing

Was the bounce really badly managed?

ESKC (Uppsala/Sundbro), Sweden

@Cipperstorch I worked with motion control fot many years, so I understand well the principles.
So what you are saying is that ADSB combined with other signals are computed for distance sent via wi fi to a camera and a different signal to the camera mount at the same time. It is then programmed to do a wide shot when the aircraft is say from 2000m to 1000m zoom in for the touchdown at say 600m, then it would stay in that position whilst the aircraft is on the ground but if the aircraft takes off again as in a touch and go it would trigger the mount to pan right whilst at the same time triggering the camera zoom out or in as the case might be before returning on capture of the signal from the next arriving aircraft.
That is indeed a very clever piece of software and I can forgive it operating like a very bad autopilot.
But I do have 2 questions. Why don’t they simplify the software by use of more cameras, which as has already been said are not expensive these days?
And secondly could not such a system be installed on a screen in an aircraft for use in Traffic advisory and warning systems? Even if, instead of cameras mounted externally it created virtual aircraft from the signals, onto a screen? For much of GA picking up and recognising where to look for an aircraft at 2km or so would be very useful.

France

There is no spinning in this accident, just a nose high stall. It sure looks weird the way he just pulls the nose up. One has to wonder why.

The elephant is the circulation
ENVA ENOP ENMO, Norway

gallois wrote:

could not such a system be installed on a screen in an aircraft for use in Traffic advisory and warning systems?

There is a company near Zurich that is doing this – but I cannot find them to include a name or a link. My google-fu is failing me.

Essentially they install a lot of cameras on the aircraft and send the images to be processed – like a super-human vision. It’s the kind of thing we see in sci-fi movies.

Found one in the US: https://utopiacompression.com

Last Edited by eurogaguest1980 at 05 Dec 09:17
Fly more.
LSGY, Switzerland
Sign in to add your message