Menu Sign In Contact FAQ
Banner
Welcome to our forums

When/Where you could descend below IFR circling height?

To answer your last question first. I would not fly a circle to land to the North.
In planning I would probably plan for the 830ft and an alternate.
This would be down to the way I was taught and as they mention absence of QNH on the plate the pessimist side of me would prevail. Ie that for some reason or another it might not be possible to get the QNH. You could just as legitimately plan the 570(550)MDA/H that you plan.
I realise that NCO doesn’t require an alternate before anyone jumps up and down.
So I would fly the RNP approach but in my TEM I would consider those wind turbines very carefully, because yes they often do cause turbulence olten up to about 2000 ft directly above so would want to pre warn any passengers, especially those with a fear of turbulence like my wife.
If I was to go there VFR without ATS, I haven’t done that for 20 Years and would have to study the VAC very carefully because one would, on a quick look at the VAC you posted need to descend to downwind and fly the circuit to the North at 1000’ AGL and if the 13 is in use I would be much more careful at where I would descend to circuit altitude and where I would turn and descend on base.

France

I guess if going pessimist on IFR planning, you are looking for 900ft ceilings

I have landed there SVFR with ATC straight-in to clear customs then SVFR takeoff straight to UK or following French coast to Brittany with PPL only and 7h fuel endurance (IMCR was valid only in UK)

It feels way safer, reliable and less complicated than IFR without ATS but maybe it’s just the feeling…

Last Edited by Ibra at 17 Nov 22:05
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom

Ibra wrote:

I know but the rules in French AIP (ENR & GEN) does require you to go north under IFR, like it or not:

Ibra wrote:

you have to join VFR circuit on it’s downwind after your IFR circling if no ATS in tower at LeTouquet…

Ibra wrote:

VFR circuit at LeTouquet is north, I had the impression it’s clear in VFR VAC chart, or probably I mis-read this and it’s actually South?

As I read the VFR chart, there is no prescribed traffic pattern – neither to the north nor to the south. The standard way Is a (almost) straight in approach from November, Echo or Sierra. If Tower is present, Tower will tell you what to do if that leads to “the wrong end of the runway” – if not, it’s your own choice.

The only additional information on the plates is, the if you arrive to the 13 from northwest, you must not turn final lower than 1000ft.

Germany

Nothing wrong with SVFR, but I assume that as you had ATS you followed arrival instructions and VRPs so no need to join the circuit.
But I don’t think SVFR is available without ATS is it?
With ATS you’d of course do the full RNP approach to a straight in landing if 13 is in use or circle at 570ft to 31.

France

Malibuflyer wrote:

As I read the VFR chart, there is no prescribed traffic pattern – neither to the north nor to the south. The standard way Is a (almost) straight in approach from November, Echo or Sierra. If Tower is present, Tower will tell you what to do if that leads to “the wrong end of the runway” – if not, it’s your own choice

VAC only show circuit hand & height both are north (south is noise sensitive and you may see snipers on few roofs ), VAC does not describe flight paths without ATC/AFIS: there is the mandatory surface examination and the mandatory circuit integration (applies to both VFR & IFR as described in French law and AIP ENR & GEN, it takes 3 pages to cover all cases), there is no such thing as (almost) straight-in even if VAC seems to suggest it, I even heard “VFR locals” reminding this on RT to “IFR visitors” who just ignored (or did not get it) and carried on…

I guess it’s part of “be careful what you wish” or “you can’t have cake and eat it”: in France, you can operate IFR & VFR at any hour including at night with PCL without ATC, AFIS, AG, Flughlighter…but you have strict rules on runway examination and traffic integration, the statuoryy legal instruments behind are serious ones, it’s not an “AIP info”, it’s an “arrêté dans JO”…

gallois wrote:

Nothing wrong with SVFR, but I assume that as you had ATS you followed arrival instructions and VRPs so no need to join the circuit.

Yes it was with ATC, straight-in almost from Lydd and SVFR landing but yes if there is another traffic ATC ask to report on VRP (Boulogne-Sur-Mer)

Last Edited by Ibra at 18 Nov 13:27
Paris/Essex, France/UK, United Kingdom
55 Posts
Sign in to add your message